We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Rental tax relief
I am in the process of buying another house. My current property, in which I live, is going to be rented out, but I need to do some work for rental preparation. For example, I advertised it for rent on open rent 1st May, so I started some work on 2nd May. Can I claim tax relief for rental preparation?
Comments
-
Depends on what work you did whether it can be claimed against rental or against potential Capital Gains Tax when the property is disposed of.
0 -
Tax relief - which tax? Iht, CGT, income.... Etc. think there are more than 10 taxes a landymay be liable.
Done any training in being a landlord or education? If not or little humbly suggest you do. I started 2000, thought I knew it all, oh my stupidity, oh the hubris.
Complicated, expensive, legally tricky, long drawn out, I was at risk. Please don't make my mistakes.
1 -
Usually not.
What is the work that is being done?
0 -
If the place was already being prepared to rent out, those costs are often treated as allowable expenses, but it kinda depends on whether it’s repairs vs improvements. I’d keep receipts for everything just in case.
0 -
Article below gives you some idea of allowable pre trading expenses for a lettings business, but it is by no means exhaustive, and is complicated by the property having originally been your residence -
As a new comer to the potentially perilous world of residential lettings, you would do well to avail yourself of membership of NRLA to access their extensive resources, and hopefully avoid the rookie errors that beset newbies in this arena -
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards