We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I be looking to add a Battery?

13»

Comments

  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,620
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I no longer pay for electricity overall. I have no batteries, but what I sell to the grid balances out what I buy from the grid. I am hoping that continues!

    YNWA

    Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 10,686
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I suspect you have a "better" roof than I do & lower normal usage. I have 30mins a day with over 8kWh usage.the chance of my solar & battery having that sort of output is fairly rare. The batteries can throw out just over 4kwh but that means the roof needs to do at least 4.5.

  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,620
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 March at 10:02AM

    I have about 6.5kW of panels with a 5kW inverter. Half my array faces south, the other half west. Nothing on the main roof of the house! I recon I could fit at least 15 panels on the main roof but install cost puts me right off tbh

    Edit: to add , usage is about 10kW per day which includes heating water (if solar available).

    YNWA

    Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,888
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 26 March at 11:10AM

    I've just been told by two installers that wholesale panel costs will be rising due to unprecedented demand and to expect a 15-20% increase per panel. No change to the PW3 prices yet.

    -  10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.

    -  Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)

    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)

    Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help! 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,942
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    wholesale panel costs will be rising due to unprecedented demand

    Did you get any info on whether this a national demand spike, or an international one?

    I could imagine a UK spike lasting 2-3 months while we wait for more containers of panels to arrive from China. But if it's international, and the whole world has gone solar loopy with the current energy problems, it might actually saturate China's manufacturing capacity (all the plants they overbuilt in 2024 and 25) so the price increase might last longer.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,888
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 26 March at 12:05PM

    Sadly, I was only told that this is a wholesale cost increase for panels across several brands marketed in the UK (some are yet to announce increases). That said, I can't see the increase in demand being limited to the UK. I know the US does not allow easy access for Chinese panel brands and the EU are taking measures to control flooding, so I suspect the issue is similar to 2022 i.e. unexpected surge in demand with smaller inventories.

    Anecdotally, I have been told by 3 out of 4 installers I leverage that they have stopped all spending on their customer acquisition channels due to overwhelming confirmed orders. One of the installers had 34 PW3s in stock at the start on this month. All but 3 are gone.

    -  10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.

    -  Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)

    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)

    Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help! 
  • zxzxzx
    zxzxzx Posts: 139
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 March at 2:26PM

    Poor countries (e.g. India/pakistan) are heavily reliant on butane/propane and are switching to solar and have been since Ukraine. This is spreading to the far east.The bulk of their gas goes through Hormuz so prices are rocketing.

    Probably a driving factor.


    Article 17 March in the Guardian if you want a look.


    Edit: just spotted….

    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2026/mar/26/octopus-sharp-rise-solar-panel-sales-iran-war

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.