We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Should I be looking to add a Battery?
Hi All,
I had installed a 6.5Kw system in 2023. 15 panels, split array with a 5Kw SolarEdge inverter. I do not have electric heating or an EV and currently have zero plans to get either. Last year I generated 5.74Mwh of which I exported approx. 60% to the grid. I could fit many more panels as I have not utilised the main roof at all currently (west(ish)facing).
At the time I couldn't make a battery make financial sense but it feels like the wind is changing and adding a battery may be a viable option now? What are the thoughts on this? Also, if I proceed, how to go about getting a battery installed? I am not sure if I want to use who I had install the system, they were ok, but their customer service is slow to say the least - however they would likely install what I tell them with little challenge.
Target: Mortgage free by 58.
Comments
-
I had mine installed about 18 months ago & I wouldn't have had it done without a battery. It was already obvious that export prices were only going in one direction. I would rather use mine than their's, but I do use a lot. But in winter filling up the battery at cheap rate rather than solar still saves me money. I confess I did not make the best use of it for the first year but I'm getting there. I thought my installers could have been a little more helpful with the extreme learning curve for someone in their late 70s but I am learning. I should be in profit a good couple of years before they quoted so they are not in trouble for that.
3 -
The general feeling seems to be that increasing self-consumption is the way forward, as export rates reduce. There is the possibility of unwanted export being charged for, as happened in parts of Australia.
I'd get a battery, before increasing the number of panels, in you situation. If you are subject to frequent power cuts it would be worth incorporating a gateway, so you can carry on unaffected.
1 -
Also look at Intelligent Octopus Flux tariff since Solaredge is supported. Higher export rates in exchange for Octopus timing your export and import to suit their needs. For mw it won't be viable over Winter compared to Go/Outgoing, so I'll probably swap back for November.
1 -
Hi Niv,
If memory serves you had your system installed by a local installer?
If you have underutilized roof space, now would be the best time to add to your existing array, upto 33 panels in total (11 per string) and connect them to a Tesla PW3.
12 additional panels + the PW3 should cost £11K installed today via a Tesla certified installer. Orders placed before 31/3 benefit from a £375 rebate and you can always sell your SolarEdge system kit on. No installer should charge extra to disconnect your existing system.The Intelligent Flux tariff is a game changer and will more than double your Solar earnings (without any additional panels). Adding more panels will compound these gains.
- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!1 -
I don't think I can take an £11k spend right now. Maybe need to park the idea until next year.
Thanks for the help all.
YNWA
Target: Mortgage free by 58.0 -
I don't think I can take an £11k spend right now.
There are cheaper batteries, albeit without the bells and whistles of a Powerwall 3.
Options here, for example, start at less than £3500 installed:
(Just an example, not a recommendation - I've no experience of that installer.)
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.3 -
I was about to type out the same @QrizB - but then I realized that the peace of mind of the PW3 relative to its cheaper image competitors eg. GivEnergy, may just make the PW worth the wait?
- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!3 -
There are
You can get a Fogstar or Fox ESS battery for much cheaper than £11k. Look for a local trustworthy installer who installs a range of batteries and they should be able to offer you something that is more in-budget
1 -
I would advise caution from new members recommending brands known for terrible aftersales support.
- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!1 -
TBH my installer has dealt with the one technical issue I've had with my Fox system - so perhaps i have been shielded from this. Won't recommend them now.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

