We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Solicitor did not send application to Land Registry

In February 2022, I purchased a new build property, but I've recently learned that the conveyancer didn't submit the transfer application to the Land Registry.

The following year, in April 2023, they emailed to say registration hadn't been completed because they had requested an electronic signature, which wasn't acceptable. I then manually signed the new TP1 Form they sent me, and they confirmed receipt on 25th April 2023.

When I tried contacting the law firm this January, I discovered they had ceased operating just days after receiving my signed TP1 Form. The Solicitors Regulation Authority had appointed an interventions team, so I emailed them with all relevant information, including the TP1 transfer form reference number. I received an automated reply the same day, and when I followed up two weeks ago, I got another automated response. Am I unreasonable to expect a prompt reply? Is there a time frame before I should escalate the issue?

I'm planning to sell my property this summer and feeling quite anxious.

Comments

  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 26,373
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    As and when it IS submitted, it can be expedited on the grounds of both the unreasonable delay caused by the solicitors ceasing trading and the subsequent intervention, AND on the basis that you are intending to sell and so need the property registered.

    You should be able to find the name of the specific individual who is responsible for the intervention - so try emailing them directly, marked urgent. Is your old solicitor by any chance part of the PM Group? If so, then that is a massive intervention and I suspect it will be a while before the firm dealing with it will be able to unravel things fully. the first responsible for overseeing the intervention will not be directly taking on matters themselves, but they should be able to point you in the direction of who to speak to in order to get the registration dealt with.

    I assume this was a cash purchase?

    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 Balance as at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
    £100k barrier broken 1/4/25
    Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00. Balance as at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 6,368
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Organisation Representative

    The key part to deal with will be what the 'interventions team' has advised in their auto-responses

    When the SRA appoints another firm to deal with the intervention it does not generally mean that they take over the running of your case file. Yes they hold the files etc but they don't 'act for you' and that maybe the advise given/next step to take, namely to appoint a new firm to act for you; they then obtain the files etc; and submit an application to register (if not done so already)

    Check the auto-responses. Confirm whether an application has been submitted already. And consider appointing a new firm to act for you depending on your checks

    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • suemacd22
    suemacd22 Posts: 40
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yes, it was a cash purchase. Stephensons Law holds the file and states, "we are not automatically instructed to continue with work from an intervened firm. You will need to instruct a new solicitor to complete the work." My previous solicitor completed everything, so only the TP1 Form, which I signed needs to be sent. If I hire a new solicitor, can I claim the cost from the SRA compensation fund since I've already paid for conveyancing? My address is listed on the land registry, but it shows I paid £3M being the amount Bellway paid for the land.

  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 6,368
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Organisation Representative

    That would be something to query with the Stephensons Law/SRA

    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • suemacd22
    suemacd22 Posts: 40
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I have contacted the SRA and requested my archived file. This apparently can take up to six months to be sent to me. I have contacted a couple of solicitors to get some quotes for the application to be submitted to Land Registry - one quoted £2.5k and the other £2k. When I spoke to the guy at Land Registry, he said it is possible for me to do this myself and sent me a YouTube video link. I'm thinking if all the paperwork is in my file and ready to go, I will try and do it myself. I have a list of all the necessary forms needed to submit the application so will wait and see exactly what is in my file. As the firm I was originally dealing with was struck off by the SRA, I can claim compensation up to £265, which should cover the cost of submission and getting my ID certified (hopefully!) It's so frustrating as I already paid the original conveyancer to do this!!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.