We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Insurance Renewal - ALWAYS Challenge!!

2»

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,269
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Not offering your best price, or being so willing to give away margin, is one thing… a competitor being £48 cheaper is a very different kettle of fish.

    Aggregators offer to tell you where you were in the rankings and there are third party companies that will, on an anonymised basis, tell you were you are on pricing compared to competitors but thats not on a like for like basis because you could be the cheapest full fat policy but are ranking 5th because someone with a cut down product is under cutting you.

    The firm we used to use would give this for circa 50 theoretical customers each month but the OP is unlikely to precisely match any of the 50 so its always a bit of guess work as to what your price is compared to the unnamed competitors. Similarly we do pricing sensitivity testing to give us a reasonable idea of the impact on both customer counts and revenue if we increase the price of teenage drivers but reduce the price on executive style cars. We then have to wait a few weeks to see the impact come through on conversion and subsequently a couple of months to see the impact on pricing against competitors

    Wouldnt be a bad thing? Not necessarily a good thing either though, a brand that holds itself up as highly ethical found the majority of their customers will leave for less than £5/year difference in premiums even if the company undercutting them is a unknown brand based overseas. If the competitor is a known name then most will leave for £1.50 a year saving.

    There is a shrinking minority who never shop around, those that do shop around arent loyal to good service which ultimately costs money. I've seen it many times, a policyholder we in claims have gone the extra mile for, they've said they are really thankful, that it was a great experience, couldn't have been better then 2 months later they switched to another product.

    Consumer insurance is a highly commoditised distress purchase. You can say what you want about how the insurer should be but for the majority of customers it won't make them stick around, price alone does that.

  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    He was quite right.

    One year I called the AA to cancel auto renewal on my home insurance. I was busy and as a one off I was prepared to renew if they matched a certain price even although I would have got cashback going elsewhere.

    They were £2 out so I said no. The guy then had the cheek to say, so you’re cancelling for the sake of £2? I said, no you’ve just lost a customer for the sake of £2, goodbye.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    He got it cheaper than other offers. My husband didn’t. That only offered the same amount. Too late. They could have offered that price in the first place.

  • Gloseeker
    Gloseeker Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Post
    Newbie

    I had this recently as well my renewal jumped way more than I expected.

    From what I’ve read, insurers price things quite differently depending on postcode, timing and even how close you are to renewal. Apparently leaving it late can actually push prices up which surprised me.

    Definitely worth checking a few quotes before accepting it I managed to get mine down quite a bit doing that.

  • Juliejones
    Juliejones Posts: 3
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie

    I have 2 cars, one business, one private and the renewal for both was at least £50 more than last year. Had no claims! Did comparison sites and the cheapest were all about the same - about £50 dearer than last year! I thought insurance costs had gone down but not for me! Obviously some comparison sites offer rewards which means you get a bit of discount but still feel ripped off!!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.