We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Spare Wheel Well and Storage
My Audi Q2 came with a shelf that sits over the spare wheel hollow - it also had a puncture repair kit that fits in a small carrier bag.
I sometimes use this for things like walking boots etc, however they tend to bang around.
I was wondering if any companies make inserts that fit these spaces - or it something you can make yourself?
Comments
-
The Q2 is on the same MQB platform as Golf 7, T-Roc, 2012-2020 A3, 2012-2020 Octavia, etc etc. So there's a good chance that the boot floor pressing is the same - so there may well be if you open the search out a bit wider.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform#MQB_A1
Even if not, it shouldn't be hard to figure something out to fit.0 -
I tend to pack mine with shopping bags and bits of clothing like hats, gloves, scarves, etc. I think there's even a blanket and some potential rags under there so it's unlikely anything will ever bang around.
1 -
I'd have thought a scrap or carpet or an old doormat or something would provide enough of a barrier from the metal.
1 -
Old towel's or clothing work well.
Life in the slow lane0 -
thanks for the ideas folks - that's the sort of thing I've been using - but I was hoping there was a standard piece of kit that I could use so it can easily be removed and cleaned etc.
0 -
I've had a search on the usual sites (Temu etc) and nothing seems to be popping up. It's also difficult because for other markets they might not use the term "wheel well", but will instead use "trunk" or "behind".
My suggestion would be something like this:
You'd probably only need 2 or 3 packs. You could use a spray adhesive on the well floor, the mat would/could form around all of the corners but do a dry fit first before you try to glue. Or simply fit it in dry and it might stay put. Remember if you're gluing anything, clean and degrease the area first otherwsie there's no chance of a good bond.
I use this stuff for under my keyboard and it's really good, and actually quite good at absorbing impact/vibration. You might find it cheaper on Temu if you don't mind waiting a couple weeks longer
1 -
Sounds like overkill, spaces like this are where the old bath towels go when they are still not quite scruffy enough for donation to next door's dog.
0 -
"I've had a search on the usual sites (Temu etc) and nothing seems to be popping up. It's also difficult because for other markets they might not use the term "wheel well", but will instead use "trunk" or "behind"."
Wheel well is wheel well.
Trunk is boot.
"Behind" is, well, "behind"…0 -
My point is that on largely foreign sites, wheel well does not always show up many results
0 -
I've found by far the most useful item to store in a spare wheel well is a spare wheel.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
