We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

"Reasonable" flight connection time for insurance purposes?

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a trip abroad and am looking at flights. I would like to book two flights with a 3 hours 10 mins gap in-between. The first flight would be domestic, so no need for immigration on arrival, but it would be a self-transfer, so I would need to collect my luggage and check it in again and go through immigration to board the second (international) flight.

The airport only has 1 terminal and I have no doubt I would have enough enough time. My question is, if worst case scenario something went wrong and I missed my flight, would 3 hours 10 mins be considered reasonable by insurers? I have checked a few policies and they all seem to say you must leave "reasonable" time or "enough" time to make the connection, but there are no specifics. I consider 3 hours 10 mins to be reasonable in this case, but would they? Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this, otherwise I will try contacting a few insurers to ask. Thank you.

Comments

  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Which airport?

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,260 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Which airport?

    What does the airport website say regarding self transfers?

    Have you read any reviews?

  • SarahLu
    SarahLu Posts: 132 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Jorge Chavez airport in Lima. Mixed reviews. I cant see anything about connection times on the website..

  • SarahLu
    SarahLu Posts: 132 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Some of the older reviews are no longer relevant as there is now a brand new terminal as of 2025

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Is there any possibility of booking both legs on one ticket inaccurate single booking, to put the onus on the airline?

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,254 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 26 February at 9:18AM

    For International flights they require you to check in 3 hours beforehand.

    3:10 therefore isnt enough time because that gives you 10 minutes to get off the plane, get your bags and be at the check in for your international flight.

  • SarahLu
    SarahLu Posts: 132 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    No Woodstok2000, different airlines and there isn't an option to book them together.

    MyRealNameToo - I know 3 hours is the recommendation, but its not a requirement and no policies specifically say 3 hours. They just say "enough" time. Check in often doesn't close until an hour before the flight so I didn't know if there was a grey area in-between. If not, I wonder why the policies don't just say you must be there 3 hours before.

  • Possibly ask the question on Flyertalk

    When is this journey? Flights get rescheduled a lot of times so think about if the domestic one were to be changed to a later time 😲

    IMHO I'd leave a few more hours (if not a day) between these flights if possible.

  • SarahLu
    SarahLu Posts: 132 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks Simon_Swap. True, but that could also happen if I left 4 or 6 hours in-between, there is always a small risk. I think I may contact a few insurance companies and see if I can get a definite answer for what they deem reasonable. Will post back if I get any more info. Thanks all.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,254 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Technically the airport website states it's a requirement not just a recommendation. A google seems to suggest 3.5-4hrs just for check in.

    They dont have a fixed value because it depends on the airport. What is reasonable for a small regional airport with one terminal and only 5 gates is very different to what is sensible for something else, you do get people doing a "self transfer" from Gatwick to Heathrow etc and so a couple of hours for that is never going to be realistic.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.