We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Ebay do I have to record my sales on my tax return?
I have a large collection of dolls, I have been collecting for nearly 20 years, I decided to sell them last year and I have sold quite a few on eBay prices ranging from £20 to £1200, I have just over £30000 now. But because these are older dolls and I have had them for many years do I have ti declare the income and more importantly will I get a tax bill?
Comments
-
Very simply, it depends which of these two categories the collection falls into:
From the HMRC checker
1 -
Its not income because you are selling your own stuff.
You may become liable for capital gains if you are selling any as sets and achieving over £6,000 in one sale
2 -
Hello Dollcollector26,
You might find our guidance on online traders and using platforms useful
Online traders and using platforms | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
“Official Company Representative
I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
When you bought them did you consider them 'an investment'?
Do you have a good reason for downsizing your collection now?
If HMRC believe you bought them intending to later sell at a profit you may be liable for tax on any profit. That would seem unlikely.
0 -
just keep a record of your sales and hopefully you will have some proof of your purchases
hmrc most probably will send you a letter about trading and a tax return
most expensive doll you sold was £1200 so no capital gains
you are allowed to dispose of your own collection albeit they will want some proof that you are not doing it as a business so if you have a doll that you paid say £500 for in 2005 and you sold exact same doll on ebay for say £700 20 years later that would be proof enough i would have thought to show that these dolls are from your own personel collection
since doll collecting is a well known hobby i would have thought hmrc would be well used to cases like your own
as to a tax return /as a business on an ebay tax return you would just put in a figure for all your expenses combined and a figure for your total takings / you do not have to itemize every doll sale / you have been keeping figures if you know 30k is what you have reached/ ebay give this figure down to the penny
i do not know if hmrc make people in your situation fill out a tax return / but if you have some proof of your doll purchases and kept just basic records you should be fine and have no tax to pay at all.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
