We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Liability admitted but hearing coming up

Hello, I’m new here but read a lot on this forum.

I was in accident more than 2 years ago (as a passenger). I started an official injury claim against the insurer of the other car. They denied liability and the next step was to take it to court. In between, I tried speaking with both insurers to confirm the results of their investigations (it didn’t appear that they were doing anything). I finally decided to go through the court route (as advised by one of the insurers so that liability can be decided). 

I now have a hearing in less than 6 weeks and need to pay the trial fee but the defendant wants the date moved as the driver will not be around. This was frustrating and I realised that even if they were not liable, it meant that I’d have to potentially go through the same route with the other insurer. I filed an N244 to have the other insurer adds as a defendant.

It was getting frustrating and I started an official injury claim against the other insurer (not sure why I didn’t do this since) and surprisingly they admitted full liability.

My question now is what is the best way to proceed and recover my costs (court fee and N244 application)? Do I discontinue the hearing? do I pay the trial fee and continue? (This doesn’t seem like an option as someone has not admitted full liability)

Thank you for you help 🙏🏾

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You say they have admitted full liability and then say someone has not admitted full liability. It's confusing.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Liability isnt the only reason that matters end up in court. Liability can be admitted but quantum (how much your owed) disputed.

    Most would continue the action until either everything is agreed or until the cash is in the bank.

  • happybuns
    happybuns Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    the last part is - ‘someone has now admitted liability’

  • happybuns
    happybuns Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Okay, I am going through the OIC process (now on the medical report stage) with the other insurer so I do not think they received the application to be added as a defendant to the ongoing claim.

    The current claim is mainly for liability to be decided before it is transferred back to the OIC portal.
    Do I go still go ahead and pay the trial fee?

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Unless there has been a major shake up of the legal system then no, once it's in the court process the court determines the full outcome and it doesnt go back to the portal. You typically wouldnt issue until in a position to provide all the evidence etc unless you are at risk of hitting the 3 year limitation in which case you ask the court for case management hearings whilst the injuries continue to stabilise etc.

  • happybuns
    happybuns Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    My apologies for the confusion. The last part is - ‘someone has now admitted liability’

  • happybuns
    happybuns Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    I’ve just had a look at the guide now and it says under 6.6.3 that ‘ If the court decides in your favour, your claim may be reopened on the portal.’

    There is the high chance that the current claim against the first insurer will not be in my favour (as the second insurer has admitted liability via the portal and we are working towards a resolution). I really don’t want to waste the court’s time and more money. For the court fee and application fee spent so far, I’m okay to cut my losses or try to recover it from the other insurer).

    My question is am I better off putting an end to the claim that has progressed to the hearing stage and focusing on the other claim still with the portal? I understand that this other claim might possibly get to the hearing stage if they become difficult but I don’t want to keep chasing the first insurer.

    In terms of my injuries, luckily they were not long term (at least as I know now, I’m seeing the medical examiner soon).

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.