We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

AA Insurance - Bait & Switch through MSE Shop

MGSteve
MGSteve Posts: 39 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 23 February at 8:30PM in Motoring

Has anyone else seen this? I get a quote from the MSE shop using the car's reg number. I get a quote (£930), then proceed through to the AA website - price is confirmed. It asks for the reg number again, which I enter and the price goes up to £1,199.17.

Surely that's not allowed? And yes, before anyone asks, I did enter the same reg!

bad_aa.png

Comments

  • MGSteve
    MGSteve Posts: 39 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    For the record, it appears to do it with a confused.com quote too. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out what their BS excuse is.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,137 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    1st quote basic quote, 2nd quote on AA site includes all extra's such as legal, temp car etc 🤷‍♀️

    Life in the slow lane
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Check the excess is the same in both cases.

    For what it’s worth, we have had a renewal quote that was noticeably lower cost than the comparison sites, even for the same insurance company.

    I seem to recall that insurance costs are supposed to be coming down, according to Martins TV program a few weeks ago.

  • MGSteve
    MGSteve Posts: 39 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Well, it shouldn't be - the MSE quote listed everything ticked (as did confused.com too), other than breakdown cover, so it shouldn't have increased.

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,779 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Mine was lower at renewal too but I use cashback sites to reduce it so was able to get it cheaper, annoyingly I rang up and they did their usual spiel and actually got it cheaper but I'd already bought elsewhere and I dislike the dishonesty of quoting me higher until I I said I wasn't going to renew

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I had a quote from AA Insurance from MoneySuperMarket via TopCashback in November. Quote stayed the same when I went on to purchase. £40 cashback as well.

  • MGSteve
    MGSteve Posts: 39 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yeah, I have a feeling it's an issue specific to the car spec - IPace HSE. I rang the AA up, gave them the quote ref at £930 quote from MSM and when they entered the reg number it shot up as well. Bloke on the phone was well confused! In the end he honoured the £930 (actually he reduced it a little further!) and took it out over the phone - all sorted.

    My advice would be that if you find this happens, just give them a call and quote the quote reference number.

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had similar issues with insurance this year, it got so bad I just phoned a broker than I normally use and just paid what they asked.

    Normally quotes save and when I click through the prices are correct but this year all the comparison sites seemed to be playing
    silly sausages and altering the prices and not registering quotes I did even if it was the day before. More quotes with short
    expiry dates also seems to more prevalent.

    Next year I will leave the quotes open in the browser.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.