We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Complex Law charging me for cancelling contract re PCP claims

I signed up with Complex Law for the PCP claim. Then I had an email from them saying that my email address had been leaked and I also received other emails at the time showing information on their clients.

As a result of this I wrote to them to cancel the agreement based on the leak.

I heard nothing for two months then I got a bill for £1296.00 for services to date covered in the small print allegedly.

The details behind this request is based on 6 case numbers of which I have no information or some estimation of the work Done

How do I get them to cancel this based on them breaking the contract first by releasing my email address

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm not convinced that a security breach would constitute a breach of contract. Have you any legal precedence for that?

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,779 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 February at 11:12AM

    They didn't break your contract by leaking the email address, that isn't how contract law works. A data leak is something a body like the ICO would deal with and fine the company over. They may owe you some compensation or pay for a protective marker but that doesn't mean any "work" done prior to that leak becomes free of charge.

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.