We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

CGT: totally clueless here.

I am very out of my depth. I have shares given to me as sign on bonus that are now vested and sellable, plus shares I have purchased myself via an employee discount scheme. I want to take money out of the shares to do an extension on the house. I am frightened about capital gains tax because I have literally no idea how to make sure I pay this. I'm a higher rate tax payer with a non-tax paying spouse. I am not self-employed so don't usually have to do a tax return.

Comments

  • Accountant ?

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,849 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    It's relatively straightforward if you have retained the purchase data as its effectively the difference between the buying price (zero in the case of free shares) and the selling price.

    Since you have a pool of the same shares built up across multiple purchase or gifting dates, you will have to perform a section 104 calculation. However, AI can do this reliably acorss a single share.

    You will be taxed at the higher rate of CGT if your gains are above £3000 as you are a higher rate taxpayer.

    You can transfer some shares to your spouse to use her £3000 allowance and her gains will be taxed at the lower CGT rate (unless we are talking a very large disposal/gain).

    Each year you should look at the bed & ISA the shares. i.e. use the annual CGT allowance to put an amount in the ISA wrapper, assuming the amount involved is high.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    If you got the shares from some sort of employee scheme then the employer should have given you some literature which explains how the shares are taxed. I am not sure what an employee discount scheme would be but there are some Revenue approved schemes which have special tax treatment (eg an SAYE Scheme or a SIP). Or if they are from non approved arrangements it is possible you paid income tax on the date you got the shares and the CGT base cost for them would be the market value on the date you got them.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 763 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    You have an allowance each tax year so try and sell some this tax year and sell some more next tax year

  • missbunbury
    missbunbury Posts: 345 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker

    I obviously need to go back and look again at the stuff work have given me. A question though: since I'm a higher rate tax payer and my wife isn't a taxpayer at all, would it make sense to gift all the shares we want to sell to her first, or does the fact that she isn't using her personal allowance make no difference?

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The personal allowance is for Income Tax not CGT. For CGT you both have a £3k allowance (that is £3k of gain). Her CGT rate above the £3k would be lower than yours because you are a higher rate tax payer and she isn't.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,849 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February at 10:35PM

    question though: since I'm a higher rate tax payer and my wife isn't a taxpayer at all, would it make sense to gift all the shares we want to sell to her first, or does the fact that she isn't using her personal allowance make no difference?

    Can't answer without knowing the amounts of the gain/disposals. Remember you have a £3000 CGT allowance, as does she. Plus, we are close to the new tax year. So, you could do a split sell.

    As mentioned above, personal allowance doesn't come into it. However, the CGT rate is selected depending on what income tax band you fall within.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.