We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cannot proceed with car insurance quotes after removing named driver (claim)

Weaver7
Weaver7 Posts: 7 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 20 February at 6:26PM in Insurance & life assurance

Last March I had my then 90 year old father as a named driver on my policy. When he opened the car door in a car park, he dinged the door of another car. Because I couldn't see the damage I declared it to the insurer as 'for information only.'

The other driver didn't pursue a claim or even want any payment as the damage was so minor. He wrote an email to my insurance company confirming he wouldn't be making a claim. I still had to pay £50 extra as the policy was only a week into a year's policy.
Now I am renewing my car insurance and my father has decided he will no longer drive. We have returned his license to he DVLA. Therefore I have removed him as a named driver. When I am searching for new quotes, it asks if you have ever made a claim, even if not at fault etc. If I say yes (my insurance company last year told me I will need to declare it at renewal) it asks against which driver. Obviously my father is no longer in the list. I don't want to keep him on as a named driver, because his age is adding £300 to the renewal quotes that have come through automatically.
So I am stuck on what to do. Do I now not need to declare anything on the new quotes as he is no longer a named driver?
Any advice?

I have of course googled this and not managed to find an answer!

Thanks!

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,247 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Speak to the insurer in question, they will probably tell you to say you were as the policyholder which is the default unless you have the relevant named driver to point a finger at

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.