We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

North Yorkshire council claim review

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 20 February at 2:09PM in Benefits & tax credits

Hi, I have never heard of a claim revew. I have been informed that if there is a change to my circumstances then I have to inform them. I have a private pension and a state pension. Bercause of thegovement freezing the basic 20{Percent} threshold, many of us are loosing out and what I receive is for the private pension is reducing yar on year.

I was not aware that this was a change that I needed to inform them of as they ar aware of all of this. I was also informed that I could not back date this over previouse years. Aparently I did not read the small print / terms and condidtions. I was told that I could receive about 20 extra becuse of the changes. However is this back dated to the beginning of the year, They seem very resitant over this issue.

Thanks (Removed by Forum Team).

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What exactly are you claiming from North Yorkshire Council?

    Is whatever you claim means tested?

    Your private pension isn't reducing, the large increases in the state pension means you are liable for more tax and the only way that can be recovered is through tax on your other income.

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February at 2:13PM

    I am a pensioner and I get support for housing and council tax. I do know the tax system and currently anyone who is on a state pension will not pay tax. This will change if the tax system stays frozen. What I receive on my MNOPF private pension does get reduced as this takes me over the £12,571 limit.

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,133 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

     currently anyone who is on a state pension will not pay tax. 

    That simply isn't true.

    My mother's state pension already exceeds her Tax free allowance, and she is by no means the only one.

  • freesha
    freesha Posts: 492 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Not clear - are you claiming HB and CTR? (Housing Bens and CT reduction)

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February at 6:33PM

    I have stated that I get help with council tax that is a reductio of council tax payments. It ap1ears as Council Tax Reduction Pensionable.

    Is Freesha saying his mother is getting a higher rate of state pension i.e. over £241.73 per week? "State pension is currently £230.25 per week = £11,973 which is less than the single person tax code (L) of £12,570"

    https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates The standard Personal Allowance is £12,570, which is the amount of income you do not have to pay tax on.

    https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates Current state pension £230.25 / £11,973

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,854 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    As your income will change every year (due to any inflation increases and change in taxation amounts), you need to notify the Council benefits department of your change in income so they can correctly calculate any means tested benefits such as Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,280 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 10:22AM

    Gou are taxed on your total income but the tax can only be deducted from your private mission.


    While your net payment received from your private pension may have gone down, your gross state pension has increased and your total gross income has increased.

  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,851 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 10:22AM

    It would seem that @[Deleted User] is referring to his disposable/nett income after tax. While it's possible that his private pension has decreased in value, IMO it's more likely that because of an increase in SP (or both) he's paying more tax.

    The assertion that 'anyone on state pension will pay no tax' is a red herring in this case as, both currently and with any future SP increase, anyone with additional income that takes them over the tax threshold will pay tax.

    Personally, I was able to retire early and have a sufficient occupational pension that meant I paid tax on it from Day 1, long before I was eligible for SP.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.