We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Hospital waiting lists information - England

UnsureAboutthis
UnsureAboutthis Posts: 687
500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 17 February at 3:56PM in Praise, vent & warnings

I've been looking online about hospitals in England and waiting times.

I've looked at this siite, link below, it states they lists/info is updated "every week."

https://www.myplannedcare.nhs.uk/

However, I and my other half both have a couple of appointments at our local hospitals, non-urgent route and we got letters advising us of the appointments, and these letters were received inin late Jan 2026 and early Feb 2026. However, the appointments are in Sept & August.

The link I posted is showing a "18 weeks for a new, first appointment, non-urgent…but it can be longer." I get it can "be longer, but who the heck then gets one around 18 weeks as opposed to what we got at/about 30 weeks, i.e., almost double, and these may be cancelled and changed by the hospital

I tried ringing today—took 25 minutes for the operator to answer, directed me to "appointments," and i helf on for 35 minutes and put the phone down as there was no indication of where I was in the queue. I tried a direct number to them before that and gave up after 40 minutes.

Does your GP have real-time data on hospital appointment waiting times for clinics, etc.?

BTW/Edit: I looked for the best forum to post this, if it's in the wrong forum, sorry; please move to the one that is most appropriate.

Comments

  • Kymmie
    Kymmie Posts: 537
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I am awaiting surgery and it went from 22 weeks when I first got out on waiting list(amd that was urgent) to now being 45 weeks.

    s. X2 tickets for Itunes festival in London, Wagamamma's cookbook, Girls Aloud ticket bundle, Herbal essence dazzling shine range. Slumberdown bedding, Free Cadburys chocolate bar, Jellybeans, Bioderma Cleanser, X2 Susan Boyle tickets,X3 Cushelle koala's, The hut bluetooth speaker Headphones, Henry V open air theatre tickets,playdoh set,£500
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 1,948
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The system has creaked and groaned under the pressure for years and is actually starting to collapse. (shocking middle and upper management decisions/appointments and an ever increasing demand for services by people aged 70+)

    The NHS was never envisaged to provide the level and complexity of care for the amount of people that it currently does

    Not a lot you can do to speed things up unless your “condition” becomes more urgent or you pay to go private

  • UnsureAboutthis
    UnsureAboutthis Posts: 687
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    To my surprise, I got a letter out of the blue giving me a scan appt. The appointment was 6 weeks

    ago. I rang them today but could not get through tried about 15/20 times.

    I found an email address and sent an email about 11am today, and I got a repsone about 18-30hrs.

    In it said I'd have to wait another 40 weeks.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.