We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Financial Advisor who knows about Benefits
Hi.
My son has recently moved to 50/50 contact with his Dad and I already pay him half the child benefit and DLA.
I now understand that the child elements of my Universal Credit can only be paid to one parent and my ex is insisting I pay him half of the allowance. This does not however take into consideration the deductions each of us may be subject to on our individual claims.
I want to figure out a fair split and also get advice on my finances now they are significantly reduced but need help.
Does anyone know of a Financial advisor that has knowledge of the benefits system who could offer advice? I am in the South East / Mid Sussex area.
May thanks
Comments
-
Hi, I cannot see any financial advisor willing or able to advise on this , financial advisors are focused on selling financial products, arranging mortgages etc. They are not divorce counsellors who understand the benefit system. Maybe Citizens advice but if you cannot be sensible you will both waste lots of money in court at your sons expense.
1 -
I have seen people mentioning these people below. But I don't think he's entitled if the claim is in your name.
Gingerbread: This is the leading national charity for single parents. They have an excellent helpline (0808 802 0925) and specific toolkits for navigating 50/50 contact and benefit splits.
2 -
I agree with @caprikid1, it is not a financial advisor you seek, but rather a benefits advisor through an organisation such as that suggested by @TimeLord1
Good luck.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.3 -
I would agree with this advice.
3 -
50/50 care, but who buys the school uniforms, pays for regular clubs, activities etc? Who generally bears the cost of the additional disability related needs such as needing clothes more often? Accompanies to appointments? Takes time off work if the child is ill ?Sometimes the split will be equal, other times one parent still does the bulk of the life admin and regular costs outside of food etc, so 50/50 isn’t always as equitable as it sounds.
Your ex can try to insist as much as they like, but it doesn’t work like that.All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

