We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Asbestos floor tiles crumbling

Hi.

I moved into a HA property less than 2 weeks ago. The floor is asbestos tiling throughout the property.

Due to my wheelchair usage, it seems as though some of the asbestos is struggling as I have several tiles that are now coming off the floor. Some are detached completely and crumbling and shattering.

I am concerned more for my dog than me. I have several health conditions as it is, but being closer to the floor I worry for my dog.

I have let the HA know, and they still haven't decided who is responsible for dealing with it, nor whether it poses a health risk.

It has been a week since someone inspected and I am told that they will seal it up, but no idea when it will actually happen.

Whilst they are deciding this, the tiles continue to detach and break up. What do I do, other than keep reporting it? Seems to be no urgency with the HA.

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,974
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Asbestos-related conditions can take decades to become apparent in humans, I doubt it's likely to trouble a dog within their normal lifespan.

    But in relation to escalating it, have you started the HA's complaints process?

  • jax1701
    jax1701 Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

    Not started a complaint yet. I thought give them time, my main issue was the health risk to be honest.

    The HA are eventually going to fix it, so I am pretty confident it will be done, I was more concerned regarding the potential impacts it could have. I understand it's low level as well, but can't be too careful with Asbestos.

    I just rang them again and they have sent through to the Asbestos team my report and they will get back to me Monday I guess. It wasn't crumbling when they saw it, it's only started happening this past week. Possibly down to the cold and the property being empty and unheated for the past 7 months, as all the doorframes were warped and coming off the walls.

    If still nothing COB Monday I will raise a formal complaint.

    Tyvm

  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,026
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm surprised they haven't tried to seal the area until they have a decision. Do you have a copy of the risk assessment?

    How long did it take for you to report it? (You should mention how long the exposure to broken tiles have been in a complaint letter, and that you're a wheelchair user with pre-existing health conditions. I'm hoping everything you have is in writing. Also take pictures for the dates. Ask them for immediate temporary seal, actual dates for permanent repairs, and the risk assessment (it should mention important details about the type of asbestos and the risk of short term exposure). If they don't respond in what you feel is a timely manner, I'd contact my council.

    The dog is def closer to the floor and more likely to sniff it out.

    Meanwhile, any areas of broken tiles that you can avoid? Do you have anything heavy/think that can be put on top that won't put you at risk if you step over it?

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,776
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    One source has the average age of diagnosis for mesothelioma for dogs as 7.8 years, with the most common diagnosis age ranging from 4 to 13 years.

    It sounds as unpleasant in dogs as it does in humans.

    If the tiles really do contain asbestos (have they been tested?) I would be pushing the HA for a rapid resolution, and making use of their complaints process until they do.

  • Some clarity on the asbestos containing materials would help us understand the urgency and risk.

    Is it actually non asbestos floor tiles originally laid with an asbestos containing cement?

    You should be able to get a copy of the asbestos report for your home. It's a pretty standard document for HA homes.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,776
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Although the asbestos issue is important, if the tiles are breaking up and lifting then they also represent a potential trip hazard. So there should be some urgency about dealing with the issue, regardless.

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,280
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    OP, I think I'd be focussing on whether these tiles are asbestos containing or not. It would be unusual to find uncovered asbestos tiles in a rented property these days (obviously it can happen), but where I work, they would be moved when the property becomes what they call a void property - i.e. unoccupied and due any refurbishments. The building services staff don't want asbestos materials in there any more than the tenants do. Depends on the HA of course.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.