We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cost-effective way of using East Caribbean dollars?

Hi folks,

As far as I can see, the three cards recommended by MSE don't have East Caribbean Dollars as one of their currencies. Can anyone suggest an account, debit card or travel credit card that would let me pre-pay in or withdraw as cash ECD with better rates than using my normal credit or debit card? (I have an HSBC Global Money card…. but they don't seem to cover the Caribbean either 🙄)…

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,399 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I doubt if there is a pre-pay debit card that gives a better rate than the fee-free debit/credit cards in any currency.

    Not sure why you wouldn't want to use a "normal" fee-free card? Is there a requirement to withdraw more cash than the usual day/month limits allow?

    A Mastercard/Visa/Amex card will be accepted in the usual places/ATMs.

    What problems are you foreseeing? The HSBC Global Money account (like several of its ilk) allow you to pre-exchange Sterling into a number of other currencies. If you don't have a balance in the currency that you are looking to spend in (or the currency isn't supported) then it just does a dynamic exchange rate conversion from GBP at the point of sale, just like a standard card.

  • It's not so much that I anticipate problems using a 'normal' card - just that it usually costs more money to do so.

    Thanks for the info on the HSBC Global Money card; again, I suspect that converting there and then (rather than having ECD in the account) will be more expensive, but it may still be the best alternative.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,021 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Not sure if wires are being crossed here, in terms of what 'normal' is being understood to mean - you don't say specifically which three MSE-recommended cards you were initially talking about but I'm wondering if you were referring to prepaid multi-currency ones rather than the travel-oriented credit and debit cards that don't impose non-sterling transaction charges?

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,401 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    edited 12 February at 9:34AM

    I have a Wise card, I pre-load from my bank account (£££) and spend locally wherever I am, including cash withdrawals in local currencies. The local money is deducted from my £££ balance at a very good exchange rate. It also means I don’t have any foreign currency left over at the end of my trip.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,399 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, but to address the OP's point, you can't hold Eastern Caribbean Dollars (XCD) in a Wise card account. OP is looking for a card to pre-load XCD onto, to avoid point-of-sale currency conversion.

    I rather think that such a card may not be available outwith the local market, if at all.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,401 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    agreed, but I was making the point that Wise (and probably others like Revolut and Starling) have exchange rates that are very near spot.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.