We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Consumer Rights for engine failure on car
Comments
-
Unfortunately none of what you think in that post is relevant, it does not give you any consumer rights. Under they CRA they have done nothing wrong and have no liability.
0 -
Thanks so much for pointing this out. I rang Peugeot who actually said the spark plugs should be replaced at 25,000 miles, so it sounds like I might have got a case here against the dealer
0 -
If you're going to try to make that case, it'll be better to refer to something published rather than a phone conversation, so this should be sourced from somewhere authoritative, e.g. on their website.
0 -
thanks, yeah I’d already asked Peugeot on the phone to email an official document with the details on which they have. They even said if you don’t get anywhere with the dealer come back to us and we might be able to fix it as a goodwill gesture! This I am very surprised about
0 -
The exact mileage/age varies depending on the vehicle and engine, from looking at the Peugeot website from 25,000-40,000 miles/3-4 years, however some models of spark plug are rated at 100,000 miles/7 years. You need to lookup the model and engine on the Peugeot website, it will show the service schedule there.
Also be aware that them having not replaced the spark plugs does not automatically make them liable, the law is far more complicated than that.
0 -
The fact that Peugeot are willing to potentially fix as a goodwill gesture is surprising, but very good for you, I would be ripping their arm off to accept that offer.
0 -
But the point is that you'd need to be demonstrating that the garage should have known the manufacturer schedule, so it needs to be something published and visible. However, sounds like a promising offer from Peugeot so this may be academic….
0 -
I would not get your hopes up myself
Until someone formally agrees there is no agreement
2 -
The "sparky" end of the spark plug goes into the cylinder head, if that dropped off, it would fall into the cylinder and get pushed around by the piston. I can see all sorts of mischief this could cause (e.g. getting ground against the side of the cylinder, scratching it and breaking the seal)
Other than being another part of the engine, the spark plugs aren't really near the belt, so I don't see the two things are related.
3 -
I agree, I think the wet belt is a red herring here, judging by OP's description of the engine failure. As I understand it, the fundamental flaw in wet belt technology is that the belt can shed small pieces which then block oilways and lead to engine seizure, or the belt can stretch, delaminate or lose teeth such that it slips or breaks, which then wrecks the engine.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
