We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Differences between driving requirements, old and new.

2»

Comments

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,236
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 5:35PM
    HGV reverse test and stopping in the box, my seating position had a perfect view of a side marker light
    that lined up exactly with the rear stop bar.

    I could have reversed and parked it exactly on the line if the tester asked for that so stopping within
    the box was easy.

    I did mine before the theory test came out, but one of the younger drivers went for his class C and
    failed his first test because it asked about the air and brake lines for Class 1/2.


    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • ButterCheese
    ButterCheese Posts: 950
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, always listen to the instructor.  It may not be what we think is best or easiest but that's the bar they are working towards and they have all the up to date knowledge.  IMO the most important thing that people miss is shoulder checks.  As a motorcyclist I do "life savers" all the time, and I do in the car as well, and even when I'm just walking.  So many people rely on mirrors only and I'm convinced this is how the majority of dual carriage way accidents occur, by people changing lanes into a blindspot because their mirror tells them there's no-one there.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I really can't recall any time that I have "pulled up on the right-hand (opposite) side, reversed to two car lengths and re-joined the traffic".  Is that really a common real-world manoeuvre?

    I don't think I've ever done it either!

    I suspect they are testing re-join traffic from the right, and threw in a little reverse to prove you can make the car go backwards saving time doing a proper reversing manoeuvre as well.

    Plenty of times I've reversed on the left side, never on the right.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 6,872
    Twentieth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 26 January at 9:00PM
    I can't imagine not having been taught to do the reverse left turn, I use it pretty much every day.
  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,743
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, we'll continue to introduce her to these obviously useful skills.
    First one she did, she nailed. All the while moaning, "I can't see anything in the mirrors..."
    ...sigh...
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.