We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
HICBC is Greater Than Amount Received by Child Benefit
flexibledemeanour
Posts: 2 Newbie
Can anyone explain why my High Income Child Benefit Charge is more (£249 more) than the Child Benefit I actually received in 24/25?
I have just completed my self-assessment tax return and HICBC is the only reason I need to file.
I'm happy to pay what I owe but I don't understand why I'm having to pay back more than 100% in HICBC. Anyone got any ideas?
I have just completed my self-assessment tax return and HICBC is the only reason I need to file.
- In 24/25 I received £1,331 in child benefit.
- I'm a high earner (£80,000+) so expect to pay back 100%
- However, HMRC have calculated I owe £1,580
- I stopped claiming child benefit in March 2025 (last month of the tax year)
I'm happy to pay what I owe but I don't understand why I'm having to pay back more than 100% in HICBC. Anyone got any ideas?
0
Comments
-
Do you meran you did not receive any child benefit for March 25?
Do Child Benefit not report how much has been paid to HMRC?0 -
Self assessment isn’t just for the Child Benefit charge. It could be related to PAYE.
Did you declare all bank interest and dividends?
Besides which, there’s a tax calculation that goes with the tax return which will show you where the tax is coming from.1 -
I received my last child benefit payment in March 25.
It all got paid into my bank account so I expect HMRC have full visibility/knowledge of what I received in 24/25.
0 -
Is the £1580 definitely 100% for the hibc? No other possible tax additions?0
-
HMRC do not have access to your bank accountflexibledemeanour said:I received my last child benefit payment in March 25.
It all got paid into my bank account so I expect HMRC have full visibility/knowledge of what I received in 24/25.
How much did you get every 4 weeks?0 -
Do you actually mean the High Income Child Benefit Charge is £1,580 or is your Self Assessment liability, of which HICBC is one element, £1,580?flexibledemeanour said:Can anyone explain why my High Income Child Benefit Charge is more (£249 more) than the Child Benefit I actually received in 24/25?
I have just completed my self-assessment tax return and HICBC is the only reason I need to file.- In 24/25 I received £1,331 in child benefit.
- I'm a high earner (£80,000+) so expect to pay back 100%
- However, HMRC have calculated I owe £1,580
- I stopped claiming child benefit in March 2025 (last month of the tax year)
I'm happy to pay what I owe but I don't understand why I'm having to pay back more than 100% in HICBC. Anyone got any ideas?
This should be quite clear from your Self Assessment calculation.0 -
I'd hazard a guess that the difference is due to OP having claimed the marriage allowance when they weren't entitled to it0
-
Possibly. Although the tax owed in that situation is typically ~£504.Yamor said:I'd hazard a guess that the difference is due to OP having claimed the marriage allowance when they weren't entitled to it0 -
The best thing is to double-check your statements. You mentioned the claim stopping; did you check the actual dates to confirm that?0
-
If the OP has one child then 52X 25. 60 =
1331.20.OP. Is 1580 detailed as the child benefit charge or is that the amount of tax underpaid?If you copy your tax calculation , redacting any personal information, here and someone may be able to clarify it for you.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
