We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Carers Allowance
Comments
-
Yes, it's based on their net earned income but the pension isn't a red herring, as if it didn’t exist then their net earnings would be higher as the pension wouldn't be using up their tax allowance. Further, how the tax allowance is split between pension income and earned income will also affect the net earned income as shown on the payslip.
I think it's a valid question.
The simplest interpretation is to go by net earnings as reported on payslip, but I have no clue whether this is the correct (DWP) interpretation. I also have no faith in DWP providing a correct answer should you phone them for clarification.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
Given how close they are to the threshold, are there any other allowable expenses?
I see that 50% of pension contributions are deductible, so if they contributed at least £10/week into the employers pension scheme, £5 would be a deductible expense bringing their earnings down from £201/week to £196/week and thus within the threshold (and they'd get tax relief and no issues on Carers Allowance).
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
Thanks for the replies. Their pension contribution is only £14 per month. The carers allowance application form only asks for gross earnings so unless DWP contact the tax office to establish the net amount they may assume they don’t earn enough to pay tax as they will be unaware of the private pension.
The help line number wasn’t much help.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards