We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Something in my chimney?
1993j
Posts: 15 Forumite
So the last 2 nights starting at around 6.30pm, in the living room behind the wall we heard rustling noises and a couple of really loud bangs (as if something had been thrown at the wall)
We had landlord out to take a look and found out the part where I am hearing the noises is from where the chimney is. So thinking it could be a bird or something. We not heard any thing this evening as of yet thankfully. Do we still have exterminater come out to take a look?
We had landlord out to take a look and found out the part where I am hearing the noises is from where the chimney is. So thinking it could be a bird or something. We not heard any thing this evening as of yet thankfully. Do we still have exterminater come out to take a look?
0
Comments
-
Do you have a cat, and is it missing? It could be birds coming home to their nest as the sun sets, or bats, or an evil spirit. Is the chimney sealed up then? What did the landlord say. You can't get the exterminator out if they can't work out what is causing it. They can't just exterminate anything they want, and they would use different products depending on what they were exterminating (Pest Control). If it's all sealed up and the noise has gone, I would leave it if it was me.0
-
You've made the landlord aware so now it's their problem. I'd be inclined to do nothing.0
-
If the chimney's sealed up then if there is anything live down there it's either going to find its way out or die - there isn't really anything an exterminator (or anyone else) can do if the space isn't accessible.0
-
Is it a chimney that is used? If not and there's suddenly a lot of soot, debris in the fireplace then likely something got in. And now likely it's got out. If it hasn't got out you'll know when the weather warms up!!I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0 -
1993j said:So the last 2 nights starting at around 6.30pm, in the living room behind the wall we heard rustling noises and a couple of really loud bangs (as if something had been thrown at the wall)
We had landlord out to take a look and found out the part where I am hearing the noises is from where the chimney is. So thinking it could be a bird or something. We not heard any thing this evening as of yet thankfully. Do we still have exterminater come out to take a look?
Have you counted your kids recently ?
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.1 -
No its a boxed in chimney the top outside is covered by what looks like a plastic vent, I can't see the front of the vent and not sure if it may have broken or not. Perhaps if we don't hear anything else tonight then maybe what ever it was managed to get out 🤞0
-
It's probably just Milhouse...either that or Gryphon.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



