We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tree Roots causing damage

Hi
I have been living in my first Freehold Property for 2.5 years and a few months ago I notined that tree routs are growing across my small lawn towards the house and appear to have lifted one of the paving slabs.

The tree is not in anyone's garden so as far as I can see is the responsibility of the managing company.

As I didn't receive a response to my emails I referred my complaint to the Ombudsman. They acknowedged my complaint a month ago but I've heard nothing else.

Co Pilot has given me good advice but I thought I'd ask real  people if they had any experience of a similar issue.

One suggestion on  Co Pilot was notify home insurers.

I would appreciate any advice.

TIA

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Home insurance typically won't cover you taking preventative steps but if you contact them they will likely register a claim then decline it which you will then have to declare for 5 years. 

    If you have Legal Expenses on your home insurance then they may be able to assist, or at least give you better ideas. LE cover doesnt count as a claim so doesnt need to be declared generally going forward, especially if it's just the use of their advice line. 

    How tall are the trees? How far are they from your building? 

    You can take other more practical steps like installing a root barrier. Sometimes the council will be willing to get involved but not always before actual damage has been caused
  • Thanks for the helpful advice about insurance.

    Its a private unadopted estate so the council won't get involved. And its not on land belonging to a house from what I can see.

  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,829 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    What sort of trees are they ??
    Pictures would be good. 

  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You need to check council website to see if there is a Tree Preseervation Order in place, if tere is permission will be needed to do anything.

    Are you paying an estate charge for maintenance?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,588 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Some trees send out root suckers, which can extend for many metres and then new growth can pop up in your lawn or flower beds. They do not go very deep and tend to grow along quite close to the surface.
    I think plum and cherry trees do this, amongst others.
    So although a nuisance, they are not the same as huge tree roots that can cause subsidence, heave etc .
    However if you dig them out of the lawn, it will need some restoration work.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 18,770 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If the root is lifting paving slabs I would be inclined to trace it back as far as possible from the house, then expose and cut it.  Cutting a single root isn't likely to have any effect on the tree.  If possible then remove the cut section of root, or as much as you can to stop any suckers developing.
  • I do pay a management company a fee and feel this should be their responsibility.
    Out the blue I received a response from the Management Company apologising for the delay and saying they will look into it and get back to me.
    If I need more advice I will add photos.
    Thank you in the meantime.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.