We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Wee first car - alternatives to Suzuki Ignis?

13»

Comments

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,742
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    paul_c123 said:
    WIAWSNB said:
    Hi.
    Daughter seemingly about to learn to drive. I've suggested mini-SUV style cars, ie high, upright seating, rather than wee, low-slung hatchback. 
    I'm familiar with the Suzuki Ignis as I tried to persuade mil to go for one (but she went for a Renault Twingo instead, pfffft) and I think it's a wee cracker. 
    What are the alternatives I should be looking at? 
    Hyundai i10?
    Toyota Aygo?
    What's the Skoda option?
    Or is the Ignis the best wee car in the wurld? 

    What's your budget? Kia Stonic is also a small SUV style car, and is equally as good (but quite a new model - you don't say what era of Suzuki Ignis).
    I anticipate paying at least £5k, and up to £7k. 
    I'll check out the Stonic - even tho' I pfffft at the name every time I see it. :smile:

  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 918
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think you might find better value for money if you go up in size a little eg Fabia, Fiesta, Golf (prob a bit more money).  I bought my daughter a 1.2 Fabia to learn to drive in sound wee car.
  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,742
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Arunmor said:
    I think you might find better value for money if you go up in size a little eg Fabia, Fiesta, Golf (prob a bit more money).  I bought my daughter a 1.2 Fabia to learn to drive in sound wee car.
    That's interesting, and certainly something I'll consider. I'd assumed that tiny=cheap, but seemingly not. 
    I am not at all restricted in choice - it'll be largely based on the best value I can find. Or it being green.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,165
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    .........Or what your daughter wants, or doesn't want to be seen dead in?
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 918
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    paul_c123 said:
    .........Or what your daughter wants, or doesn't want to be seen dead in?
    What?  If my daughter wanted choice she would have been buying it herself! 

    I picked up my daughter's 3 year old Fabia from Copart £1,800, put a new front on it for £1,000 by the time she was 17 it was just 4 years old, all in for £2,800 and the bonus was it never ended up with Cat N marker when I bought it as Cat N (Covid times).

    So no, she had no say in what she was getting.  Unfortunately looking at the price of salvage and cost of parts I suspect these days are long gone.
  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,742
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    paul_c123 said:
    .........Or what your daughter wants, or doesn't want to be seen dead in?
    Dacia sandero it is, then. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.