We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Got a letter about going over 30mph
Comments
-
You would normally receive a notice of intended prosecution, which requires the registered keeper to respond. Is that the letter you received?0
-
Assuming this is in England or Wales, you should be offered a speed awareness course (unless you've previously done one within the last three years.textbook said:Went 37 in a 30 mph zone. As it was work van they are just asking if it was me (think it was). Fill on send back. Is it one of those speeding courses I need to request? This is what my friend said0 -
You request nothing, once you have informed the police it was you driving it may be one of the options your are offered. As already stated if in England or Wales you will almost certainly be offered one unless youhave already had one in the 3 years prior to the offence.1
-
Take it up if you are offered one. It still costs £100ish, but you avoid the points, and I learned a lot from mine so not a waste of time.1
-
Are you sure it was a letter and not a Notice of Intended Prosecution together with a s172 request to identify the driver?textbook said:Went 37 in a 30 mph zone. As it was work van they are just asking if it was me (think it was). Fill on send back. Is it one of those speeding courses I need to request? This is what my friend said
And was it addressed to you, or was it addressed to your employer* and then passed on to you? If the latter, has your employer instructed you to "deal with it" or simply passed it to you for information?
If it is addressed to you or if your employer has asked you to deal with it you must reply within the time limit.
You don't request anything - you wait to see what they offer you.
*Strictly speaking, if addressed to your employer then it's your employer who needs to respond to it, and it's your employer who will be fined if it isn't replied to. But your employer might not like that, so if your employer has asked or instructed you to deal with it, probably best if you do. If you then get a second request addressed to you, make sure you respond to that as well. Don't assume you have already answered it.0 -
I use a hire van ' enterprise. They must have got my address from them.
BTW, it was on 7th Nov but I got the letter on 31st Dec. By law they're supposed to contact me within 2 weeks. I know they went through enterprise (rental company)but can I worm out of it legally as 7 weeks is very long?0 -
By law they're supposed to contact me within 2 weeks…
Let’s think this through. Assuming Enterprise is the Registered Keeper (and they may not be - but let’s assume they are). They have 28 days to respond to the police providing your details. If they take just half of that time, how are the police going to contact you within two weeks?
0 -
I forgot to pay the Dartford Crossing charge with a hire car through work, EP took 2/3 weeks to contact our company, adding 2 sets of £45 admin charges on top (i.e. charges for both directions), couldn't really be bothered to spend time/money arguing with either so paid up.textbook said:I use a hire van ' enterprise. They must have got my address from them.
BTW, it was on 7th Nov but I got the letter on 31st Dec. By law they're supposed to contact me within 2 weeks. I know they went through enterprise (rental company)but can I worm out of it legally as 7 weeks is very long?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



