We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Santa Baby - it's the 2026 Christmas Chatter Thread!!
Comments
-
@princesskitty29 I’ll have to keep an eye open for the Aldi pig in blanket crisps not seen them yet in my local but they were a hit last year.We don’t have sky but that Gruum offer is a great deal.
@spendless enjoy your break - annoying dh didn’t mention the pool prior to going they just don’t think at times.
If she’s living in London I get dh point that driving lessons wouldn’t be particularly useful right now whereas the holiday is something she’ll hopefully enjoy especially if she thought she wouldn’t be able to go. Dd actually learnt to drive during Covid her dad taught her in his car so not hindered by the restrictions. She was really lucky in some ways as the mostly clear roads made the experience so much easier and she was able to get lots of practice in as he was furloughed for a while and she wasn’t so he’d get her to drive to/from work too. getting a test appointment once they were back up and running was a nightmare though.
ordered a couple of these today https://www.primark.com/en-gb/p/christmas-bauble-print-glass-candle-holder-clear-991194697932not available in store and no measurements listed so will have to see what they’re like when I pick them up but have a couple of ideas for uses beyond holding a candle.
Saw my first Xmas themed scratch card (£3) yesterday in sains local - I usually get the £1 ones to go in our table gift crackers so so hopefully they’ll be out soon.this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk1 -
picked up my candle holders from Primark the measurements are approx 4inch across & 7 1/2 inches tall. The colours are more muted than they looked online but still really pretty.
picked up a couple more sweet pouches from sains as they had aero bubbles, munchies & milky bar buttons on offer at £1 - though it says £1.25 online?this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk2 -
Hi - logging in from abroad. We're around half way thru our hol. Have been really careful what weve bought so far, mindful of luggage restrictions but have got DD a jellycat exclusive to the country we're in. Really pleased was able to do that.
Should have said its been my bday since weve been here (big scary one - lol). I opened my cards and there was some money from a friend (truly touched cos she struggles with her finances). I used the cash to buy another swimsuit and spent the afternoon of my bday in relatives pool. Really enjoyed it and was to be last dip of the year as we then went away overnight sight seeing and the weather has turned since so pool is being put to bed till spring.
At my bday meal relatives gave me card and cash also (completely unexpected) and DD got in touch with DH about getting my gift whilst away. I decided on getting a pandora charm with relatives money, in the sales tray I found my birth stone one that Id just need to add a little money to, then the SA said if I bought two sales one, thered be an additional 30% off. I found one that was relevant to DD giving me it. The assistants then asked if they could style my bracelet with all my beads and also cleaned it up. It looks fab, loved the experience.
3 -
Aw that's lovely @Spendless, happy birthday!
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty1 -
hi
any recommendations please. Looking for an Advent calendar for my 12 year old Grandson. He loves pokemon cards and squishies! would like to purchase an alternative for a chocolate one this time and wondered if anyone has purchased anything to suit a boy that age?
many thanks
1 -
Iceland appear to have a pokemon themed one for 9.99 @sheilavw if the ~30 quid official ones seem a bit much
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty1 -
belated birthday wishes @spendless
Glad you managed to source a country specific Jellycat I’m sure dd will love it. Great deal on the Pandora - the little extras like styling and cleaning your bracelet were a nice touch. Enjoy the rest if your trip
@sheliaavw do you have a budget in mind? My boys had have various Funko pop, Lego & fidget toy calendars before but they are pricey. I’ve seen a uno one this year that I’m debating as its one game my lot will still play. Another option is to make your own buy or make a reusable calendar then fill it with different things you know they’d like - again not always the cheapest option but it’s more personal and you can get bits you know they’d actually want/use instead of generic tat.
Currently away for a few days on a Butlin’s trip with Taz - absolute bargain paid £37 but with the premier club tier I’m on I get a £25 on site voucher to spend so technically only cost me £12 - I also get a free bottle of Prosecco so that will go away for Xmas.
this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk2 -
My mum bought a wooden one and changed what went into it at each age. We had Lego figures one year, sweets sometime, cute little Christmas erasers. It was always a challenge to find little things that would fit but fun too. I'm thinking of going something similar with cheese this year for my DH l, he likes one that they do but it gets a bit samey
Interest beater challenge £365 for 2026 £180.01/£365
1 -
I have a wooden xmas tree shape advent item that has drawers. I got it from The Works and then decorated it myself. I fill it each year with whatever is in vogue at the time - usually chocolate bunnies mixed with chocolate coins and small items i have collected over year and it is a firm favourite with my, now 12year old, boy.
drawers come out fully so can put numbers in any order - paper and numbers I also got from the Works and paint was just some I had.
5 -
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

