We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Santa Baby - it's the 2026 Christmas Chatter Thread!!
Comments
-
Great to see you’re so far ahead with your planning @mandco I really need to look at my list and get myself organised. There are a couple of little bits I’ve got already for DD mainly and I need to keep track.
DS1 worked one Christmas as he had a job at a hotel. He got well paid for it but it was a bit odd especially as both my parents were with us that year. It was the Christmas after DNephew had died and we had the funeral on 30 Dec. All in all quite rubbish.
I think only DD has always been with us. Expect it’ll be a while until she goes to her boyfs family as he doesn’t see them often - maybe he’ll be with us this year, who knows.
I went to !kea yesterday which is a bit of a trek. Needed to collect a bedside table for DS2. They had some cute Christmas mugs from last year (near tills/in clearance section). They were unmarked so I looked up the price on one of their terminals - £4! I mean really?? They were left behind.
Popped into large mall on the way home and got DD some PJs in Primarni - Nightmare Before Christmas - these are for her birthday in October. I also got some packing cubes and a set of three clear with leopard print trim cosmetic bags. These will be for her Christmas gift along with a nice small wheelie case. She was away with work this week and took the only one we have so it’ll be useful for her.
DH had some friends stay over last night and they are off to a local hop festival today. I’m taking Mum out - we are going to a nice town on the south coast - the place posh people go to retire(!) - so we will have some lunch and look in the various independent shops. May get some inspiration!Cross-stitch WIP: Haberdashery Shop Fiver Friday challenge 2026 founding member 😊 Read 26 books in 2026 18/26 Currently
reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (19)6 -
That must have been a very difficult Christmas for you all Coxy << hugs>>
I bought a small wheelie case from.Tripp last year with some birthday money after you mentioned it and I love it. I also got a small holdall that matches it as there was an offer on at the time.
DH mentioned how much he likes the smell of a diffuser Id put in our downstairs loo, I had another so I gave him one for our summerhouse which is his office. It was from Valentte which Ive mentioned before. Their products smell incredible, look classy and are beautifully packaged and they often have a free offer on. Id had an email saying there was a free diffuser with an order so Ive ordered some bath/body products for DD, claimed the free diffuser that will become part of DH's xmas present. Did pay postage but still worked out cheaper. This is the link for the company.
Parents have started going out to local places, wildlife parks, cinema. I feel for them cos a number of their friends have died or moved away so they do need to go out. Dad is so difficult to buy for, Im thinking of getting him some gift cards to pay for their day trips. I know thsts really a couples present but maybe I can come up with a couple of ideas for him and then giftcards between them.
5 -
Thanks for the link to Valentte @Spendless I will check them out x
I am thinking of going to the outlet mall in Ashford as there’s a Tripp store there.
Forgot to say that I went into Bath & Bodywork’s yesterday. I was looking for ideas for DDil birthday which is same day as DD. The fragrances are really strong and I’m not sure whether she likes floral or fruity. It’s expensive for what it is and the packaging looks a little cheap imho. Came away empty handed.Cross-stitch WIP: Haberdashery Shop Fiver Friday challenge 2026 founding member 😊 Read 26 books in 2026 18/26 Currently
reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (19)5 -
I couldnt find a small gift Id bought for DD's graduation (later this week). Had a vague idea Id put it 'somewhere safe' during the kitchen refurb! Had to ransack the present cupboard looking for it. In doing so managed to upset myself about DD not being here this Christmas. Now I genuinely dont mind her going elsewhere, there is nothing here for her except us (a small and ageing family) but Id bought gifts in sales earlier this year not in anticipation of this and will need to jig them around. This isnt an issue shes already suggested a mock early Christmas. It was more the realisation she wouldnt be here in the run up (which is daft cos last year she only returned from studying abroad the week before) as weve always had so many Christmas traditions me and her from when she was little and we used to follow the activities in the fav Christmas story book and the Xmas Eve hamper that her brother outgrew after the first year and she never did, even asking for it back after I stopped it when she turned 18. Id had a busy and overwhelming couple of weeks prior, add in the lost grad gift (later found in a drawer both me and DH had checked) and this was the camel that broke me!
Since then my head has started over ruling my heart and Ive divided up what Ive got so far into 'mock xmas' and actual day based on both practical size and value.
4 -
Can understand your mindset @Spendless - it's hard when you've had traditions and you feel they won't happen this year. A Mock Christmas sounds the way to go - I much prefer the build up to Christmas than the actual day itself tbh. Can you pin her down now to a weekend in December for this to happen? Glad you found the grad gift!
DD came downstairs this morning in PJs - yes you've guessed it - Nightmare Before Christmas ones! However the ones I've bought are same but different iyswim, so she will still get them!
I've refreshed my Christmas buying list to only include those we now buy for. Actually forgot that we introduced this rule last Christmas so only my two younger nephews now on the list plus immediate family. We've had a delivery of wine this morning - get these once a quarter - and there's already a push to 'reserve' the Christmas collection which looking at it doesn't have any wines we've had before. They usually do an offer of 15 bottles which includes a prosecco plus some glasses, plus a bottle of gin. This year it's much reduced - same price, 12 bottles, no glasses, plus gin. TBH we've still got gin we bought for last Christmas and haven't drunk yet so, thank you Mr L, but we won't be sucked into your marketing campaign!
Cross-stitch WIP: Haberdashery Shop Fiver Friday challenge 2026 founding member 😊 Read 26 books in 2026 18/26 Currently
reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (19)4 -
Thanks Coxy. Unfortunately cant pencil in a weekend yet for a mock Christmas due to me only getting my shifts 1 month in advance, having no more AL to use and DD having to submit her availability for her workplace before Ill get my shifts. Me and DD work weekends, the boys dont and plus they are going to NYC for a few days late Nov, early Dec (think they return Dec 1st). DH is going on a work trip, so DS is accompanying him due to me not being able to go plus DS is more than happy to wander around New York.alone whilst DH is working, where as I wouldnt be. Mock christmas will have to be last minute arrangements.
I did wonder about having mock Christmas dinner out and going somewhere a little more upmarket since Christmas fayre menu will be cheaper than actual Christmas day. I looked at a couple of places in a neighbouring town (Id offer to drive) that are really nice. 1 place me and my Mum called in last year as we had vouchers for free coffees and it looked like we'd just walked into a set of an Agatha Christie Miss Marple's show being filmed. I suspect I would get some resistance from family members about the menu being 'too fancy' .
I'm glad you reduced your gift list Coxy. I remember you putting it up last year and noticing you had a large number of adults and almost adults on it. I think it makes it far easier once extended family turn 18 to keep it to direct descendants either above you (parents, grandparents) and below you (offspring, grandchildren, g-grandchildren).
Something I noticed whilst looked for missing grad gift was the amount of cardboard boxes Ive kept cos they are 'cute' but unlikely to be reused cos they have the brand name on them, so once I do start wrapping, if they cant be re-purposed they will be going in the recycling instead.
5 -
Mock Christmas out sounds good @Spendless and will be (hopefully) more variety and definitely cheaper. Did giggle at the Miss Marple venue description. Hopefully you can pin down some dates when you get yours and DD’s shift pattern.
Not sure if I mentioned on here but due to lack of admin work (self employed and haven’t been needed since mid July) I’ve started volunteering one afternoon a week at BHF charity shop. They were putting out Christmas stock yesterday. You won’t be surprised to hear of the number of B&H and Fuzzy Duck gift sets we have!! Even at 25% staff discount I’m not tempted lol. They do have some nice cards and gift wrap though and I do need some so…..I just had a FB ad come up re: advent calendar’s for L’0ccitane - £99 and £169 respectively. I remember treating myself to one about 10’years ago and it was just sub £50 which even then I thought was a lot!! Anyone else getting advent calendar’s for themselves/offspring and any deals to be had?
Have had a wishlist for DDIL from DS1 so will be sorting her gift today.Cross-stitch WIP: Haberdashery Shop Fiver Friday challenge 2026 founding member 😊 Read 26 books in 2026 18/26 Currently
reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (19)4 -
@spendless, have you thought about putting elegant Christmas stickers over the brand names on tour boxes?
GC 2022 = £3154.96 , 2023 = £3334. 841
2024 = £.3221.81 , 2025 = £3974.24 . 2026 £ 2493.92/£3500, October £26.74/£200
Decluttering campaign. 2026. 42/74 storage places, book cases, drawers cupboards and sheds. Also tidying / clearing front and back gardens , giving bathroom and kitchen a bit of a spruce up. Me🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐⭐ ⭐DH🏅🏅🏅
Make £600 in 2026 = £876. 79
NSD in M = 18, J = 15, J = 15 S10 aug
Ocrober /155 -
I've only ever bought 'fancy' advent calendars twice - (many) years ago I bought a Brewdog beer one for my OH as part of his Christmas present(!) and he still didn't finish it until well after Christmas because he didn't want to drink a bottle of beer a day..
I've splashed out this year for the first time and got the kids a Lego one each and I definitely winced over the prices of those, but they're both quite into Lego right now so I think they'll be a hit now that they're old enough to appreciate a bit better.
3 -
Years ago before luxury calendars became a big thing, in a Sunday paper supplement one Jan, they had a sale on their beauty calendar down to £37.50 from £75. I bought it and saved it for my Mum. At the end of Nov we went away with friends, so I took the gift wrapped up to Mum's house, told her it was her Xmas present and to get maximum enjoyment she needed to open it Dec 1st. She was convinced it was food that was going to go off. 😂. Anyway she loved all the minis that came out and took them on a cruise she was going on. Never saw an offer like that again but me and DD did share a Fragrance shop one a few years ago that had been reduced, full of mini perfumes that DD car booted for £1 each later that year deciding she didnt like most - lol.
DD is thinking of buying herself an ASOS one. Her former housemate was bought one by a boyf who always spoilt her and DD was well jel - lol.
I have got some stickers for the boxes. Just unsure if they will cover it completely. Will make decision once I start wrapping.
Spoke to DS today about one of his presents being a 'refurb' of his spare bedroom. Have some ideas what to do that shouldnt cost too much.
6
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
