We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Claim form - residential parking.

Hi all, great help on this forum. I wish I’d known about it years ago when I lost a case against the previous avaricious car park management company at my flat.
I’ve scoured the threads here and read parking prankster’s blog on similar cases but still have little faith I will win but I want to try.
I appreciate any advice.
I own a flat whose car park has been managed by a few companies over the years, at the moment it’s NPC.  I have a claim form from DCBLegal, and I have completed the acknowledgment of service and am putting together my defence using the template, but this is all new to me. The form states a breach of terms on the signage (contract). My permit wasn’t displayed - date of contravention was 6th Aug - as it had fallen from the windscreen. My lease only states ‘The right (subject to observance of the regulations set out in Schedule 5 as applicable) to use the Car Parking Space edged green on the Car Park Plan (if any) for the parking of one private motor vehicle only Together With the right to pass and repass at all times with a vehicle or on foot (as appropriate) over and along the roads and footpaths on the Estate Maintained’. 
They’re claiming £173.92 plus court & legal rep costs which is scandalous given they’re not offering me something I don’t already have. I made the mistake of not appealing the charge when I received it due to poor advice but I doubt they’d have taken it seriously. I despise having to display a permit here as the only people who are fined are residents; I have complained endlessly to the property managers to no avail. Do I stand a chance?
«13

Comments

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 January at 11:44AM
    Probably doesn't matter that you didn't appeal it, but you should have complained about it to the management company or landlord etc,  which you did to no avail 

    So its NPC via DCB LEGAL  ( did D Croot sign the claim form. ?  )

    Post the Issue date from the top right of the claim form below 

    Post the AOS date too

    Post a redacted picture of the POC from the lower left of the claim form below after hiding the VRM details first 

    Ideally post a picture of the requirements in the lease about parking,  what matters is what it doesn't say,  as much as what it does 
  • Swellhead
    Swellhead Posts: 13 Forumite
    10 Posts
    NPC via DCB LEGAL.
    Yes, D Croot did sign it.
    Issue date: 11 Dec 25
    AOS: 24 Dec 25

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Definitely NOT a fine,  just an invoice from a private parking company,  NPC. ( never refer to it as a fine, magistrates issue fines,  but not in civil cases. )

    Yor defence submission deadline date is 4pm on Tuesday 13th January 2026
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 4,596 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    "I own a flat whose car park has been managed by a few companies over the years, at the moment it’s NPC."

    Just checking  -  you are the actual Leaseholder (for a large number of years) of the flat?
  • Swellhead
    Swellhead Posts: 13 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Yes I own the flat, but it’s a block of flats. I still pay ground rent and service charge for the property managers.
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 January at 12:59PM
    Swellhead said:
    Yes I own the flat, but it’s a block of flats. I still pay ground rent and service charge for the property managers.
     I think that you mean that you own the lease to the flat.  ( Leaseholder. ) leaseholders pay ground rent 

    The freeholder probably owns the flat,  not you  !  ( terminology is very important here. )
  • Swellhead
    Swellhead Posts: 13 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Gr1pr said:
    Swellhead said:
    Yes I own the flat, but it’s a block of flats. I still pay ground rent and service charge for the property managers.
     I think that you mean that you own the lease to the flat.  ( Leaseholder. ) leaseholders pay ground rent 

    The freeholder probably owns the flat,  not you  !  ( terminology is very important here. )
    Yes, forgive me. I am the leaseholder.
    Thank you. 
  • Swellhead
    Swellhead Posts: 13 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Using the defence template, for para 3 is it worth mentioning the permit had fallen from the windscreen-  though I can’t prove that now - or focusing more on my lease? Thank you.
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Don't do their job for them , concentrate on your lease and residential rights 

    You should study a dozen recent residential court claims involving DCB Legal over the last 12 months,  see what their paragraphs say,  typically around paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 only

    You can probably adapt the wording from similar residential cases
  • Swellhead
    Swellhead Posts: 13 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Okay, thank you. I’ll look thru this forum for similar cases. Just to confirm, the template apart from para 3 doesn’t need to be edited in anyway?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.