We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Frump to Fab 2026.
Comments
-
Thank you for the warm welcome ladies 😁
I'm also lol-ing at your winter bedroom @Wednesday2000, but I get it as our new-to-us 200 year old cottage has a (bed)room which was extended into a dormer in 1965 that gets absolutely sweltering compared to the other bedrooms. We use it as an upstairs living room for watching TV as it's the largest room here so would be wasted as a bedroom imo!
I haven't done much more clearing clothes out yet, but have a few sewing projects planned after an unexpected win yesterday…
OH suggested we should think about swapping our TV room sofa (turquoise velvet, bought 2nd hand on eBay during the pandemic), so we tootled off to a bespoke sofa company that has an attached outlet selling ex-display items. We saw some gorgeous sofas/chairs but all still too pricey/not right. They also sell a few fabric remnants and I couldn't believe my luck when I found two pure wool ends of rolls in herringbone and dog's tooth check that will make amazing winter skirts/trousers. There was 7+ metres in total, all for £60!
Additionally and even better, I picked up a couple of designer remnants perfect for cushions/throws including a piece of a Sarah Vanrenen fabric I've been coveting for ages. It retails at £230 per metre and I got 1.2m for £10 😍🤩😍
2 -
@Floss thanks for linking the app. i’m mixed race and find those type of apps just don’t work for me. The app suggested a soft summer. admittedly, my face is quite red today, but my skin can be quite sensitive. This often makes people think i’m cool toned. When i get colour matched for foundation, the consultant often goes straight for the cooled toned foundations and whilst the colour matches, the tone makes me look like the bride of DracuIa. i feel so much more like ‘me’ with a warmed toned foundation.
i came to the conclusion that im a deep autumn and this is the colour palette ive been using for years. When i looked at the soft summer colours they kind of revulsed me, whereas the autumn colours just felt like home.
It is a good resource and i think i’ll have another nosey later on tonight, but focus on my chosen colour palette.
For me, one of the advantages of having a colour palette is that much of my wardrobe mixes and matches with each other, but sometimes, i just buy something i like, even if it isn’t quite my season. i steer clear of anything that will make me look awful, but i think there are lots of colours that may not make me look my best, but don’t look bad either and i will happily wear these.
5 -
How hard is it to find a brown mascara? Why does fashion think we all suit black?
Went on my own to a wedding we had been invited to of DH's cousin (DH not well enough). It did feel very odd, then started to second guess about what people would say. At the end of the day it has nothing to do with them. We all said it was a change for us to get together that the event was not a funeral. As we are at "that age" where life throws those events at us too soon. To get another wedding late on in life is a blessing. It was a lovely service and day so nice to see the couple absolutely smitten with each other. Life is too short. The dress I wore was a new one I had picked from a sale and needed tweeking on the bust and under arms as is a sleeveless one a white background with purple and autumnal hues of colours. I felt good in it - deep pockets too, perfect for my glasses and hankies as wouldn't fit in my small shoulder bag 😇 Managed to find a good pair of timeless leather flat shoes in the shoe cabinet that also went with the outfit.
Keep fabbing ladies
2 Scratters xx
Anything is better than nothing-check back and see
On the declutter journey since 2023 with Mrs SD. Tilly Tidy since 2023.3 -
A wedding 'later in life' does indeed make a pleasant change @2Scratters…sorry your DH wasn't well enough to attend it with you, but your dress sounds lovely! I don't think I'd have been brave enough to go on my own, so well done you 😊
I've been through more of my clothes today and succeeded in jettisoning a few tatty jumpers and holey leggings. Kept one decent pair of leggings for decorating 😉
I'm not a leisure wear person, so no joggers or co-ords, but living rurally/semi-rurally for more than a decade (plus all those back-to-back renovations!) I did succumb to wearing scruffs much of the time.
Here, there are so many more opportunities to go out and I'm determined to look nice!
I found a few ok items lurking in the back of the wardrobe (Desigual cardigan, a Biba 'make love not war' jumper and a brown velvet maxi skirt) to add to my arsenal. Ordered a couple more bits from Vinted/eBay too, but I'm struggling to find a jacket I like, despite setting myself a (reasonable, imo) budget of £150 🙄
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards