We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
More Effort Required - the next 5 years
Comments
-
Thank you AgathaSquirrel and savingholmes. I never ever thought we could be in reaching distance of paying off our mortgage by SPA. But it's possible now (I have to pinch myself when I think of this). Our OPs have included taking tax free sums from our pensions and a redundancy payment along the way. We've also kept up the pressure by keeping our monthly payment at its original huge amount. Its easier now its just the two of us too.
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga1 -
I made a decision over the weekend to pay off the remainder of this year's 10% OP allowance from savings. I feel slightly nervous at using up the savings, but it makes financial sense for interest saved. I'm looking forward to watching the effect on actual interest in the future statements.
We have approx. 4 years left of our 3.84% fixed rate, then maybe another 6 months on SVR, until I reach SPA (f we can get close to full MF in that short time). Although it's a huge challenge, it was similar to our DFW journey and that worked out, so fingers crossed. I'm finding a great way to keep motivated is by following other forumites MFW journeys - some great tips and positivity there.
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga1 -
You are on fire. 🔥
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb. ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

