We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

More Effort Required - the next 5 years

123468

Comments

  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Lots of Nordic Noir this weekend, plus a couple of chapters of my book. Popped out to an open house on the next street but had to cut it short as I was just too hot. More gardening done over the weekend and spent some time relaxing in the garden over coffee. I've a few bags of stuff to go to the CS and need to have a trip to the recycling centre. I've also ordered a weekly wall planner to bring some order to the week - sadly excited to have that one delivered 😂.

    A cull of my clothes is definitely needed, and I should get back onto healthy eating again. My clothes are getting a little snug and what you don't want in this weather is tight clothes. I can't remember what being cold is like anymore!

    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,265 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Scottish noir is good too. 📚

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thanks @beanielou Karen Pirie is on my list - I believe that's Tartan noir?

    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,265 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Yes. You are correct. Tartan noir not Scottish.
    Also look for Skinner books by Quintin Jardine and of course the one and only Ian Rankin.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thanks beanielou. I think I've watched some Rebus' it rings a good bell - so I will definitely look into those. Never heard of Quintin Jardine - also one to look at thanks for the tip. I've only been to Edinburgh once to see the Tattoo but have always promised myself a return trip. I used to enjoy Taggart when it was on - just looked it up and that was based in Glasgow. Reminded me that I fairly recently read/watched a crime series based in Aberdeen. Was it Granite City - I'm not sure. I'm excited to get into all this stuff including a day trip to Edinburgh!

    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,265 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    It would be Granite City. A new series of it has just started.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £224,460.73
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: CLEARED July 2025
    Unread owned books Jan 2026: 256
    Undone crafts 2026: +1
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,265 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Excellent news

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you beanielou 😀.

    I've had a fairly satisfying day. I've realised that in the past I've 'thrown' myself into sporadic decluttering and as a result end up exhausted. This new slow but steady approach is starting to pay off. If I don't get everything done I just move it on to a later date and I'm making time for doing things I want to do - even if it's just completing the downstairs hoovering.

    I managed to complete another chapter of the book I'm reading. Just one more chapter to go and I'm looking forward to the new week and crossing some more things off the to do list.

    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.