We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Private Healthcare question
waterman10
Posts: 147
Forumite
I'm thinking about making an appointment to see a consultant with Spire Healthcare. I've seen this consultant before with NHS appointments but I've never used private healthcare before. I could wait months on the NHS and am prepared to pay to see them quicker.
My question is, if I go and see this consultant at Spire and they say I need to have a procedure, could I get that done on the NHS? (I couldn't afford to have it done privately).
Presumably they can't insist that any procedure discussed is done privately. Afterall, if she says I require a cystoscopy for example then the next time I see her in an NHS appointment it could be arranged then.
My question is, if I go and see this consultant at Spire and they say I need to have a procedure, could I get that done on the NHS? (I couldn't afford to have it done privately).
Presumably they can't insist that any procedure discussed is done privately. Afterall, if she says I require a cystoscopy for example then the next time I see her in an NHS appointment it could be arranged then.
0
Comments
-
You can transition back to the NHS at any point, the private consultant will typically refer the patient back to an NHS service for reassessment. Patients can return to the NHS at any time, with no disadvantage to their care.
However, be aware that while you can move back, you cannot "mix and match" (e.g., having a private consultation and then immediately using NHS for a scan in the same pathway). You must be fully under one system. Even having the same consultant in both pathways doesn't necessarily help.0 -
ok thanks for your help.0
-
You would still have to go on the waiting list for NHS treatment.0
-
I know but I will be able to book an appointment for January rather than waiting an epoch with the NHS. Also, the private consultation lasts 30 minutes as opposed to about 7 minutes with the NHS so we'll be able to properly discuss my health issues and plan a way forward.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards