We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
QDR Solicitors £50 admin charge - advice required
Comments
-
I want to understand where £50 admin fee is from when I have seen others quoted £18 e.g https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6607380/qdr-solicitors-non-payment-of-fuel-advice-required/p1DeathByFluffy said:On what grounds are you disputing the charge?
You know you didn't pay, you also know people don't work for free and the DVLA also charge for handing out vehicle keeper details.
I think £50 is a much better option than criminal prosecution for theft of fuel.0 -
Have you seen others quote fees other than £18?therealbadders said:
I want to understand where £50 admin fee is from when I have seen others quoted £18 e.g https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6607380/qdr-solicitors-non-payment-of-fuel-advice-required/p1DeathByFluffy said:On what grounds are you disputing the charge?
You know you didn't pay, you also know people don't work for free and the DVLA also charge for handing out vehicle keeper details.
I think £50 is a much better option than criminal prosecution for theft of fuel.0 -
mainly £18.MeteredOut said:
Have you seen others quote fees other than £18?therealbadders said:
I want to understand where £50 admin fee is from when I have seen others quoted £18 e.g https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6607380/qdr-solicitors-non-payment-of-fuel-advice-required/p1DeathByFluffy said:On what grounds are you disputing the charge?
You know you didn't pay, you also know people don't work for free and the DVLA also charge for handing out vehicle keeper details.
I think £50 is a much better option than criminal prosecution for theft of fuel.
See here: mumsnet.com/talk/money-matters/5068479-scam-or-not-not-paid-for-petrol
and here: nz.trustpilot.com/review/qdrsolicitors.com?search=fee
one person says £200 -
They can charge as much as they want.What makes you think that?Be thankful they did not decide to prosecute.I'm not aware that QDR is an authorised prosecuting authority. Even if they were, who would they prosecute and on what basis?0
-
The Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 preserves the rights of private prosecutionsTooManyPoints said:Be thankful they did not decide to prosecute.I'm not aware that QDR is an authorised prosecuting authority. Even if they were, who would they prosecute and on what basis?
0 -
But it doesn't give them the means to identify the culprit.MyRealNameToo said:
The Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 preserves the rights of private prosecutionsTooManyPoints said:Be thankful they did not decide to prosecute.I'm not aware that QDR is an authorised prosecuting authority. Even if they were, who would they prosecute and on what basis?0 -
I was answering the first bit, the authority to prosecute.Car_54 said:
But it doesn't give them the means to identify the culprit.MyRealNameToo said:
The Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 preserves the rights of private prosecutionsTooManyPoints said:Be thankful they did not decide to prosecute.I'm not aware that QDR is an authorised prosecuting authority. Even if they were, who would they prosecute and on what basis?
No but they have the name of the keeper from the DVLA, they presumably also have the CCTV so assuming OP is both the registered keeper and the culprit its not going to be too hard to workout if its the same person - most people have online profiles with their photo on it. Were one the spouse and one the OP then equally simple. Things get harder if the OP is the cousin 3 times removed of the person who;s company hires the vehicle but given they did mention about it going through a dozen hands before getting to them its probably the first one.0 -
Many of the posts here are just scaremongering personal opinion and will never ever happen .
Read the sensible posters links to other similar cases on MSE for a reality check and how to deal with this .
Authority to prosecute !!!
More like authority to make up utter rubbish and use it as a threat for any low hanging fruit silly enough to listen to them .
QDR are Robo claiming tryhards .....get your post moved over to the private parking section where incorrect posts are corrected by people who are far more grounded in this .
1 -
BlueonBlue said:Many of the posts here are just scaremongering personal opinion and will never ever happen
The OP committed a criminal act - they have been given the opportunity to get out from under. The penalty admin fee is what it is - you or I cannot distate what they charge - If they go to court they will also ask for costs to go with the criminal conviction - In their position you have had your chance - the next step would be to prosecute - I have in the pastAsk yourself - Do you feel lucky.
0 -
Nearly all criminal offences only apply if there was mens rea - criminal intent. It is clear from what the OP has said that that he made a simple error, without any intent to defraud the petrol station. So, he's not guilty of a criminal offence.
However, he owes the garage the money for the petrol. The garage can of course appoint QDR as their agent to collect this.
The next question is whether QDR can add a £50 charge on. That's a contractual question, and it depends on whether there were prominent signs at the petrol station saying in effect "If you don't pay at the time of filling up, £50 will be added to your bill."
I've never seen signs like that at petrol stations. Without such a contractual obligation, the garage cannot arbitrarily add £50 to the bill, and neither can their agent.No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
