We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Amex and payments
Nimbleberryfinn
Posts: 19 Forumite
in Credit cards
I was looking to take out an Amex Gold card and one of the offers is spend £6k in first 6m to get x-amount of Reward points.
My question is, if I did a balance transfer of say £1k to pay off some debt from a NatWest credit card using the Amex, would this be classed as a payment and count towards that £6k target? Of course I would clear the money off the Amex separately, but just wanted to see if this could be a workaround to reaching that limit without having to spend £6k on physical purchases.
My question is, if I did a balance transfer of say £1k to pay off some debt from a NatWest credit card using the Amex, would this be classed as a payment and count towards that £6k target? Of course I would clear the money off the Amex separately, but just wanted to see if this could be a workaround to reaching that limit without having to spend £6k on physical purchases.
0
Comments
-
Aside that Amex UK do not openly offer balance transfers and thus not really have offers to do so, but a balance transfer can be requested and is subject to eligibility, however, No, balance transfers are not counted towards the spend target nor accrue Membership Rewards points.Nimbleberryfinn said:I was looking to take out an Amex Gold card and one of the offers is spend £6k in first 6m to get x-amount of Reward points.
My question is, if I did a balance transfer of say £1k to pay off some debt from a NatWest credit card using the Amex, would this be classed as a payment and count towards that £6k target? Of course I would clear the money off the Amex separately, but just wanted to see if this could be a workaround to reaching that limit without having to spend £6k on physical purchases.
i am currently getting some large offers to refer a friend , where both I and the friends would get larger than normal bonuses. I also believe that with my referral, the larger bonus on the Reward Gold card would only require £5k spend (£6k for the platinum).
0 -
Current target is £5k spend not £6k however if someone refers you then you get slightly more points for the same spend and they get a lot more pointsNimbleberryfinn said:I was looking to take out an Amex Gold card and one of the offers is spend £6k in first 6m to get x-amount of Reward points.
My question is, if I did a balance transfer of say £1k to pay off some debt from a NatWest credit card using the Amex, would this be classed as a payment and count towards that £6k target? Of course I would clear the money off the Amex separately, but just wanted to see if this could be a workaround to reaching that limit without having to spend £6k on physical purchases.
In the US AmEx is starting to offer BTs but not in the UK, BTs arent considered "spend"/purchases by cards so dont count for MR, cash back etc anyway0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
