We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lloyds adding 2 months extra to my 2 year fix duration - losing out!!!

2»

Comments

  • That's really great news. Thanks. 
  • It's perfectly normal to have a fixed end date that isn't exactly 2 years from the start date, you'll find quite a few savings accounts that that have a fixed date to end regardless of the start date.

    I'm afraid you can't blame Lloyds for you not reading the T&Cs and it certainly looks from what you posted above that they told you the end date.  If interest rates were going up you'd be very happy that your fix was 2 months longer than you thought.  At lest the B of E have indicated they won't be going down again any time soon.
    Sorry but when I get sold a product that is headlined as a 2 year fix I don't find it perfectly normal that this means 2 years plus 2 months.  I understand you have seen this before but I haven't seen it at all in many mortgages over 40 years. In any other circumstance that could be miss-selling. But I had my back to the wall and a deadline to sign it and get off punitive variable rate.

    It is also at odds with this demands and needs - but I get it its all on me...



    HOWEVER - thanks to the top tip here I have a mortgage review appointment booked for start of Jan and they will let me transfer 3 months before the 2yrs +2 months extended end.  That's pretty fair and good business to tie me into them too.  All good!
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,925
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cash_Cow said:
    It's perfectly normal to have a fixed end date that isn't exactly 2 years from the start date, you'll find quite a few savings accounts that that have a fixed date to end regardless of the start date.

    I'm afraid you can't blame Lloyds for you not reading the T&Cs and it certainly looks from what you posted above that they told you the end date.  If interest rates were going up you'd be very happy that your fix was 2 months longer than you thought.  At lest the B of E have indicated they won't be going down again any time soon.
    Sorry but when I get sold a product that is headlined as a 2 year fix I don't find it perfectly normal that this means 2 years plus 2 months.  I understand you have seen this before but I haven't seen it at all in many mortgages over 40 years. In any other circumstance that could be miss-selling. But I had my back to the wall and a deadline to sign it and get off punitive variable rate.

    It is also at odds with this demands and needs - but I get it its all on me...




    But you're not just buying off a headline, you were advised by a solicitor and are shown the actual offer terms including a start and end date before agreeing to exchange and draw down the mortgage. At that point, the headline becomes irrelevant and if you didn't like the actual terms you could pull out. If you continue, then you've agreed to that and the result is as expected. 

    The demands and needs doesn't really contradict it either.. it says you don't NEED payments to be fixed beyond 2 years (ie the fixed term should be at least 2 years) but it doesn't say that you need payments to be variable after that. 
  • Cash_Cow
    Cash_Cow Posts: 131
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    No solicitor involved as per assumption. I still consider it slippery especially if my stated NEEDS are overridden but its irrelevant now as they are being quite decent about it and no point me repeating previous points esp as my pov will remain the same :)
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I believe they will not allow a transfer until 1st March based on a reservation made in February.

    A rate reservation made in January will be for 1st May start only.

    Check before you waste time with an 'appointment'.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Cash_Cow
    Cash_Cow Posts: 131
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks. I was led to believe on the phone we can get it set for the anniversary date of exactly 2yrs but when we set that may be important. Thanks for the advice again. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.