We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Travel Insurance Pre-Existing medical condition query

2»

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    eskbanker said:
    sheramber said:
    eskbanker said:
    They all insist upon being notified of ANY medical condition, however minor.

    I suffer from mild "somnolence" and am prescribed medication to take as and when needed (not habitually).

    When i click to notify them of my pre-existing condition, I am presented with various notifiable conditions of which somnolence is not one. There is no facility to add "other" option.

    When I click the [Next] button, I am prevented from moving forward through the questionnaire because I am (also) informed that "somnolence" is not recognised but I must still select a condition from the inadequate list (no freeform insertion option provided).

    I cannot, as my condition is not listed.
    Surely if the condition isn't listed, they're effectively saying that it doesn't need to be declared?
    Could be a costly assumption to make. 
    True, but if there is literally wording that says they need to be "notified of ANY medical condition, however minor" but without the ability to specify anything other than what's listed, it seems reasonable to conclude that what they really mean is "tell us if any of the following apply", but yes, worth clarifying....
    Normally if you search for a condition and the insurer doesnt have it then it instructs you to call
    Fair enough, that makes sense - I think OP was referring to comparison sites rather than the actual insurers, but yes, at the point of dealing with the insurer, the wording is hopefully clearer! 
  • I am hoping someone can help me inasmuch that I am having issues obtaining quotes for travel insurance.

    I have tried the usual comparison sites (confused, comparethemarket, moneysupermarket) but keep hitting the same brick wall, in each instance

    They all insist upon being notified of ANY medical condition, however minor.

    I suffer from mild "somnolence" and am prescribed medication to take as and when needed (not habitually).

    When i click to notify them of my pre-existing condition, I am presented with various notifiable conditions of which somnolence is not one. There is no facility to add "other" option.

    When I click the [Next] button, I am prevented from moving forward through the questionnaire because I am (also) informed that "somnolence" is not recognised but I must still select a condition from the inadequate list (no freeform insertion option provided).

    I cannot, as my condition is not listed.

    If I reset and start from scratch, the application "remembers" I noted a pre-existing condition and prevents me from going forward, again (a perpetual loop scenario). Apart from which, I feel it important to notify an insurer of the medical condition lest non-notification were to later invalidate a claim (which I neither hope nor anticipate will actually arise).

    So much for Artificial "Intelligence".

    Any inspiration, please?

    Somnolence is a symptom rather than a condition, so if you really want to include it, it would most likely fall under hypersomnia. 
    Thanks Woodstock.

    You are correct. That is exactly what it is listed as.

    Like I said, before, "so much for Artificial "Intelligence"... Have these programmers never heard of a Boolean search, I wonder.

    Thanks, again.
  • katejo said:
    I don't use comparison sites for reasons like this. I go for insurers who only require you to declare conditions for which I have had a referral/treatment in the past 2 years or which are in the group of more serious conditions (eg heart, neurological, blood). 
    That's what I will have to do because:

    1) Across all comparison sites, an annual multi-trip policy is significantly less costly than a single trip (kinda counter-intuitive).

    2) All the multi-trip quotes specify each trip duration to be a maximum of circa 30 days but I have a shortish trip over Christmas and New year but then a longer trip scheduled for circa 50 days, starting in March of next year.

    Unfortunately, whilst I am allowed to change components and receive quote adjustments based upon such as Excess, Gadgets, Luggage, Medical, Cancellation etc., none of them allow maximum trip duration adjustments.

    To compound matters, there is no option to even speak with a representative, so as to tailor a quote and obtain a requote, on such a basis.

    It would seem their reliance upon (cost cutting through human staff reduction) Artificial "Intelligence" practises has just cost them, otherwise pending and very likely repeat, business.

    Good. The tide will surely turn and sooner or later we shall very likely revert to business practices that do actually value both customers and good employees. Neither of which do machines care about.

    I can hardly wait.

    Thanks for responding.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,814 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    clear the cookies, and search history.  reboot the computer.  try again without any conditions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    So much for Artificial "Intelligence".
    Gnasher555 said:
    Like I said, before, "so much for Artificial "Intelligence"
    It would seem their reliance upon (cost cutting through human staff reduction) Artificial "Intelligence" practises has just cost them, otherwise pending and very likely repeat, business.
    Despite your enthusiasm for repeating the point, nothing you've written suggests anything to do with AI?
  • Brie said:
    clear the cookies, and search history.  reboot the computer.  try again without any conditions.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but:

    1) I don't want to clear my history and cookies, at this point in time, as such would screw up current conveniences on other websites.
    2) The comparison sites all clearly state they require data on ALL doctor or other physician visits and/or medical conditions, regardless of how minor. To do otherwise would invalidate any future claim, meaning a policy holder who fails to fully notify would actually be financially better off without the policy, at all.
    3) I discovered the condition (or thereabouts) is actually listed but not under the same name as my doctor's diagnosis. An "Other" option would likely solve this but does not exist, unfortunately.

    Consequently I got my quotes but they are too inflexible, anyway.

    I have since posted a new thread, addressing that, under the "Insurance" rather than the "Travel" forum subsection.

    Thanks, again, for responding.
  • eskbanker said:
    So much for Artificial "Intelligence".
    Gnasher555 said:
    Like I said, before, "so much for Artificial "Intelligence"
    It would seem their reliance upon (cost cutting through human staff reduction) Artificial "Intelligence" practises has just cost them, otherwise pending and very likely repeat, business.
    Despite your enthusiasm for repeating the point, nothing you've written suggests anything to do with AI?
    OK. Bye-Bye.
  • katejo said:
    I don't use comparison sites for reasons like this. I go for insurers who only require you to declare conditions for which I have had a referral/treatment in the past 2 years or which are in the group of more serious conditions (eg heart, neurological, blood). 
    That's what I will have to do because:

    1) Across all comparison sites, an annual multi-trip policy is significantly less costly than a single trip (kinda counter-intuitive).

    It costs them the same to sell a single trip policy as it does an annual policy. The average duration of a single trip is 1 trip and then you incur more costs of sale when they want their next policy. Very few buy insurance and then dont book a holiday. 

    The average duration of a multi-trip policy is something like 2.5 years so you can amortise the cost of sale over that period. Some people hold Annual Travel "just in case" but then dont actually take any holidays so the insurer receives the premium but doesnt actually take on any risk. 

    Operational costs are lower, claims are proportionally lower, so premiums can be lower. It's not that counter intuitive when you stop and think about it. 

    Gnasher555 said:
    2) All the multi-trip quotes specify each trip duration to be a maximum of circa 30 days but I have a shortish trip over Christmas and New year but then a longer trip scheduled for circa 50 days, starting in March of next year.

    Unfortunately, whilst I am allowed to change components and receive quote adjustments based upon such as Excess, Gadgets, Luggage, Medical, Cancellation etc., none of them allow maximum trip duration adjustments.

    To compound matters, there is no option to even speak with a representative, so as to tailor a quote and obtain a requote, on such a basis.
    In most cases you arent changing options on an aggregator but simply filtering the different options based on your preferences. Aggregators are fairly basic, they just have an API between them and those sellers that are enrolled, they send across your details, the sellers send back the prices, product features, cost of any optional extras and a deep link for quote retrieval. The aggregators displays it in order of price and you can filter by features and/or it will add on options extras where relevant. 

    There will be no one to speak to at the aggregator, there is no need to as they just display information and take a slice of the monies if you click through to buy. You call the sellers and see if they have more options available, or even try directly on their website but pricing is not necessarily the same... people on aggregators typically value price above all else and so some sell cut down versions of products, discounted pricing etc because you dont get sales from the aggregators from having generous limits or great customer service. 

    Maximum single trip duration tends to go up with Tier so Insure&Go is 30 days for their silver and gold policies but 55 days for their Black
  • katejo said:
    I don't use comparison sites for reasons like this. I go for insurers who only require you to declare conditions for which I have had a referral/treatment in the past 2 years or which are in the group of more serious conditions (eg heart, neurological, blood). 
    That's what I will have to do because:

    1) Across all comparison sites, an annual multi-trip policy is significantly less costly than a single trip (kinda counter-intuitive).

    It costs them the same to sell a single trip policy as it does an annual policy. The average duration of a single trip is 1 trip and then you incur more costs of sale when they want their next policy. Very few buy insurance and then dont book a holiday. 

    The average duration of a multi-trip policy is something like 2.5 years so you can amortise the cost of sale over that period. Some people hold Annual Travel "just in case" but then dont actually take any holidays so the insurer receives the premium but doesnt actually take on any risk. 

    Operational costs are lower, claims are proportionally lower, so premiums can be lower. It's not that counter intuitive when you stop and think about it. 

    Gnasher555 said:
    2) All the multi-trip quotes specify each trip duration to be a maximum of circa 30 days but I have a shortish trip over Christmas and New year but then a longer trip scheduled for circa 50 days, starting in March of next year.

    Unfortunately, whilst I am allowed to change components and receive quote adjustments based upon such as Excess, Gadgets, Luggage, Medical, Cancellation etc., none of them allow maximum trip duration adjustments.

    To compound matters, there is no option to even speak with a representative, so as to tailor a quote and obtain a requote, on such a basis.
    In most cases you arent changing options on an aggregator but simply filtering the different options based on your preferences. Aggregators are fairly basic, they just have an API between them and those sellers that are enrolled, they send across your details, the sellers send back the prices, product features, cost of any optional extras and a deep link for quote retrieval. The aggregators displays it in order of price and you can filter by features and/or it will add on options extras where relevant. 

    There will be no one to speak to at the aggregator, there is no need to as they just display information and take a slice of the monies if you click through to buy. You call the sellers and see if they have more options available, or even try directly on their website but pricing is not necessarily the same... people on aggregators typically value price above all else and so some sell cut down versions of products, discounted pricing etc because you dont get sales from the aggregators from having generous limits or great customer service. 

    Maximum single trip duration tends to go up with Tier so Insure&Go is 30 days for their silver and gold policies but 55 days for their Black
    That's really kind of you to take the trouble and explain it, so clearly.

    Thank you very much.

    Knowledge is power!!!
  • Just in case anyone is still searching for Insurance, we use insurancewith.com my husband has multiple conditions to declare, and their medical screening seems to work well. We found annual policy was cheaper than a single trip, just managed to get worldwide (exluding US,Mexico and a few others - as not needed) for £250 for 2 of us. There is an extra medical excess of £100 for him, but his conditions are covered.

    I did a quote with Staysure - same holiday and it was £1200!!!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.