We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do you season wood outside?

dllive
dllive Posts: 1,411
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
Hi

I recently chainsawed a fallen tree (ash). How best to season the logs? I dont have any space in my garage, so will need to be kept outside. Is it enough to just leave them in a big pile for a year, or should I cover them with some tarpaulin? 

Perhaps everyone has their own way of seasoning wood, but Id like to hear some comments/advice. I think Ive got some spare pallets somewhere, so I will certainly at least keep the piles on pallets so theyre off the ground. 

Thanks 

Comments

  • Top and bottom covered but sides open to allow air circulation. Ideally the top extends beyond the ends of the logs to stop driving rain getting on them but the reality is a bit of splash from the occasional storm won't materially change the drying the centre of the logs etc
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I made a store under an evergreen tree.
    Old panel at the back and chicken wire each side. The ground at the base was mostly dry from the tree and logs.
    I slung a plastic tarpaulin over the top in winter.

    If you think about how they are stored at a country supplier they just stack them. 

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do a Google search for “wood store”. That will give you ideas. 
  • Or look up references to the book Norwegian Wood, by Lars Mytting - how they do it in Scandinavia...
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.