We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Query about First Direct offer on Top Cash Back

Hello, 

in the exclusions part of the first direct offer it states “ cashback can only be claimed on the first account opened or the first switched account.  Additional accounts are not eligible for cashback “

does anyone know if this means the first account opened via the top cash back site or the first one opened any way ?     I’ve had a first direct account years ago that I got a switch bonus for - the account was closed a long time ago.   Would I still qualify for the £50 cashback if I opened a new account via TopCashback as my first account opened via that site, or does the fact I’ve had a previous account, albeit opened another way, exclude me ?    I know I won’t get the switching bonus so am just looking at the cashback.  Has anyone used the cashback link and got it despite having previous accounts ? 
Save 12K in 2020. Number 13

Comments

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,445 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    If you've ever had a First Direct account you are not eligible. Mine was opened over 20 years ago, I could try but it's not worth the hassle
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Clare43
    Clare43 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    jimjames said:
    If you've ever had a First Direct account you are not eligible. Mine was opened over 20 years ago, I could try but it's not worth the hassle


    So I wouldn’t get the £50 cashback for a new account even though I wouldn’t be doing a switch ?   I expected that to be the case but thought was worth double checking 
    Save 12K in 2020. Number 13
  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    I had a First Direct account years ago, switched it out, opened a new one earlier this year via Top Cashback and got both the switching bonus and cashback (should have been £60 but only got £45, my claim for the remaining £15 is still ongoing). So I would go for it and see what happens. Worst than can happen is that your cashback is declined.
  • Clare43
    Clare43 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    I had a First Direct account years ago, switched it out, opened a new one earlier this year via Top Cashback and got both the switching bonus and cashback (should have been £60 but only got £45, my claim for the remaining £15 is still ongoing). So I would go for it and see what happens. Worst than can happen is that your cashback is declined.
    Very true.  Think I’ll give it a go and see what happens.  Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess 
    Save 12K in 2020. Number 13
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.