We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Royal Mail - Praise

On Tuesday 9th December, in the late afternoon, I went onto the Royal Mail website to check Christmas posting dates because I had 3 parcels and some Christmas cards to send but I'm not well and was worried I might not get to the Post Office in time. I spotted the Royal Mail collect service and decided to give it a try. I'm not the most tech savvy but it's very straightforward and within a few minutes I had arranged collection of my parcels for yesterday, 10th December, and for 30p each, Royal Mail would print the postage labels for me. My excellent regular Postie collected everything at 1315 yesterday and the parcels were on their way from Newcastle upon Tyne to West Yorkshire, rural Norfolk and Cornwall.  I received emails from all 3 recipients by 1000 this morning confirming receipt of their parcels.

And, to burnish Royal Mail's reputation further, an item I'd ordered online, scheduled for delivery tomorrow, actually arrived safely today.

So well done, Royal Mail for providing me with excellent service. We're all very quick to criticise and so we should when necessary but I think it's equally important to give praise where it's due.

Comments

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 December 2025 at 5:02PM
    A parcel was posted to say 2.45 pm yesterday
     using tracked 48. I received it at12. 30 pm today. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,685
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Plus if you get a parcel via the Royal Mail, they do not just dump it on your doorstep. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Plus if you get a parcel via the Royal Mail, they do not just dump it on your doorstep. 
    No, they just dump it in the blue recycling bin without ringing the bell. 
  • sheramber said:
    Plus if you get a parcel via the Royal Mail, they do not just dump it on your doorstep. 
    No, they just dump it in the blue recycling bin without ringing the bell. 
    ...but at least there's a good chance that the blue bin is in the same postcode as your house.
  • Momogeew
    Momogeew Posts: 107
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I can't agree with the RM praise, far too much to type out here but they are the last courier service i choose when given the choice.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,685
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    Plus if you get a parcel via the Royal Mail, they do not just dump it on your doorstep. 
    No, they just dump it in the blue recycling bin without ringing the bell. 
    I guess it depends on the local delivery people.
    We get a few a week via Royal Mail, and not one has ever been dumped anywhere.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    Plus if you get a parcel via the Royal Mail, they do not just dump it on your doorstep. 
    No, they just dump it in the blue recycling bin without ringing the bell. 
    ...but at least there's a good chance that the blue bin is in the same postcode as your house.
    And might be emptied before you know it is in there. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.