We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Temp car insurance or full year for uni student
Hi
My daughter passed her driving test last year and drove for a full year before going off to uni. When she went I let her insurance lapse and didn't renew as I thought we'd just temp cover her when she was back during holiday times.
Now she's coming back for Christmas I've done a search and temp cover is quite expensive for the 4 or 5 weeks she's home. The summer holiday will be even longer/higher, although I'm sure she'll be away for some of that period.
It looks like it's about £250+ for 4 weeks cover (which isn't even long enough anyway), or £700+ for an annual policy (maybe with another black box?) which is high for the few months a year she'll actually be driving.
Was just wondering what do other people do?
My daughter passed her driving test last year and drove for a full year before going off to uni. When she went I let her insurance lapse and didn't renew as I thought we'd just temp cover her when she was back during holiday times.
Now she's coming back for Christmas I've done a search and temp cover is quite expensive for the 4 or 5 weeks she's home. The summer holiday will be even longer/higher, although I'm sure she'll be away for some of that period.
It looks like it's about £250+ for 4 weeks cover (which isn't even long enough anyway), or £700+ for an annual policy (maybe with another black box?) which is high for the few months a year she'll actually be driving.
Was just wondering what do other people do?
0
Comments
-
Temp cover is really only for a few days here and there. For the time you need you'd be better off with an annual policy.
The annual policy will also allow her to build up a NCD, and means she's insured any other time she's back.1 -
What's happening to the car the rest of the year? Off the road and SORNed?Marlax said:Hi
My daughter passed her driving test last year and drove for a full year before going off to uni. When she went I let her insurance lapse and didn't renew as I thought we'd just temp cover her when she was back during holiday times.
Now she's coming back for Christmas I've done a search and temp cover is quite expensive for the 4 or 5 weeks she's home. The summer holiday will be even longer/higher, although I'm sure she'll be away for some of that period.
It looks like it's about £250+ for 4 weeks cover (which isn't even long enough anyway), or £700+ for an annual policy (maybe with another black box?) which is high for the few months a year she'll actually be driving.
Was just wondering what do other people do?
0 -
I'm insured on it with my own policy. I tried adding her as a named driver to it, but they quoted over £2k for just 4months (to the end of the policy term).MyRealNameToo said:
What's happening to the car the rest of the year? Off the road and SORNed?Marlax said:Hi
My daughter passed her driving test last year and drove for a full year before going off to uni. When she went I let her insurance lapse and didn't renew as I thought we'd just temp cover her when she was back during holiday times.
Now she's coming back for Christmas I've done a search and temp cover is quite expensive for the 4 or 5 weeks she's home. The summer holiday will be even longer/higher, although I'm sure she'll be away for some of that period.
It looks like it's about £250+ for 4 weeks cover (which isn't even long enough anyway), or £700+ for an annual policy (maybe with another black box?) which is high for the few months a year she'll actually be driving.
Was just wondering what do other people do?0 -
How often is she likely to use the car during the Christmas period? It might be cheaper to temp cover it for one day at a time?Or (if you're somewhere relatively urban) take a taxi or Uber?N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Yeah, I wondered that too, but I think she's *probably* going to use it most days? Even just half the time would be 20 days. Popping here, popping there. On veygo it would be about £26 a day.0
-
May be worth quoting at renewal with her added on, who's cheap for mature only drivers are not necessarily going to be cheap for mature driver and new driverMarlax said:
I'm insured on it with my own policy. I tried adding her as a named driver to it, but they quoted over £2k for just 4months (to the end of the policy term).MyRealNameToo said:
What's happening to the car the rest of the year? Off the road and SORNed?Marlax said:Hi
My daughter passed her driving test last year and drove for a full year before going off to uni. When she went I let her insurance lapse and didn't renew as I thought we'd just temp cover her when she was back during holiday times.
Now she's coming back for Christmas I've done a search and temp cover is quite expensive for the 4 or 5 weeks she's home. The summer holiday will be even longer/higher, although I'm sure she'll be away for some of that period.
It looks like it's about £250+ for 4 weeks cover (which isn't even long enough anyway), or £700+ for an annual policy (maybe with another black box?) which is high for the few months a year she'll actually be driving.
Was just wondering what do other people do?0 -
I tried getting my 19 year old son added on my existing insurance and they would not insure him at any cost. I went for a new policy with him added and it was not a problem. Still more expensive than on my own without him.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
