We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Feeding robin .
Comments
-
Try robin friendly feeder or scatter the food in anumber of places. Also think about feeding early in the morning when Robins are more active and pigeons less so.
I personally fill an empty plastic takeaway food container and scatter that across a 4-6 foot area and let them all have a bit (Wrens, Robins, Crows, Blackbirds, Pigeons, Jackdaws, Magpies).
12.5kg bag of seed from B&M £6.49 (lasts about 3 weeks)
PS dont forget to stick a bowl or two of water out aswell
Thanks for feeding the wildlife 👍I have a tendency to mute most posts so if your expecting me to respond you might be waiting along time!2 -
I had a window feeder for my robin. After a while if it was empty he would sit and stare at me. Then it got to the point that when I put my hand out to fill it up, he would be there before I'd shut the window. So shortly after that I had him coming to my hand.
I say "he" because in the breeding season Mrs Robin would sit in the tree and wait for him to bring her treats. She wouldn't come to my hand.
I fed them suet nibbles. Never had a problem with pigeons coming to the window feeder.1 -
Try mealworms. Robins naturally eat worms and bugs that's why they follow you round the garden when you're disturbing stuff.
I pigeon proofed the bird table by putting a bit of fleece making the entrance smaller reducing the pigeon getting in.
Also a block of fat with mealworms.
The pigeons then will clear up any dropped seed so you don't get rats.
This is a good site
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2019/12/what-do-robins-eat/I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
5 -
Yes, I was also going to recommend mealworms1
-
We have hanging feeders of different types offering a variety of food, ranging from tiny niger seed to peanuts and fat balls. The pigeons and doves never try to eat from those. They do, however, make themselves useful, cleaning-up after the smaller birds. Robins swing both ways, on the feeders and the ground.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
2 -
Don't forget to soak mealworms before feeding them to the birds. Dried ones will cause dehydration.Make £2026 in 2026
Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77, Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
Total £629.02 31%Make £2025 in 2025 Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10
Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%1 -
Robins love sunflower kernels too. Expensive nowadays but he bullies me if I don't buy them.1
-
Loads of birds like sunflower hearts. We get blue, great, coal and long tailed t-its, dunnocks, gold finches, green finches, robins, blackbirds on our feeders, with bigger birds clearing up anything that gets dropped.Make £2026 in 2026
Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77, Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
Total £629.02 31%Make £2025 in 2025 Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10
Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



