We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Central locking car issue - using a standard "manual " Key without setting off the alarm ..

bit of advice please I have a 2009 honda civic 8th gen and having issues with the central locking.

It works very intermittently,it seems to lock the car but not open when I press the fib.


I originally thought it was the battery which I swapped out which made no difference , then had a spare key which seemed to work for a couple of days with the new battery but now struggling to open again ..

I am happy to use the manual key but it keeps setting off the alarm when I open the lock , I have tried locking it with the key and opening with the key but it still sets off the alarm.

Is there anyway I can use the key without setting off the alarm , even when I put it in the ignition and start the engine it stops and goes off again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

  • Disable the alarm?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    On my Suzuki (I guess Honda will be the same) opening the door with the key always sets off the alarm.

    It stops when the ignition is turned on.

    There is no way to disable it AFAIK. I can disable the internal motion sensor, but not the door switch.

    I suppose you could disconnect the door switch, but that might cause more problems than it solves.


    I'd check the state of charge of the battery, it may simply be that it needs charging, and you are not driving enough to charge it. 
    Try using an external charger.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Do you still have the owner's handbook? That'll tell you the manual alarm disable procedure.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Pull the alarm fuse.
  • Thanks for the comments - sadly cant disable the alarm by pulling the fuse .
  • Finally sorted  - turns out that even though the model number of the batteries are the same different brands are slightly different sizes  .  After several brands , Panasonic turned out to bethe right thickness to make a secure contact.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    There must be a problem with the remote then, button cell batteries are sized by their number, so subject to tolerances, they should all be the same size.

    A 2032 battery is 20mm diameter 3.2mm thick, a 2025 is 20x2.5mm, a 1616 is 16mmx1.6mm etc.

    You could try packing the battery out slightly with paper or tin foil cut to a suitable size, depending on where the contacts are. 

    (Finally! a genuine use case for those plastic digital callipers that Lidl sell- I'll pick up one next time I see them.)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.