We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Ebay & USA customs fees via royal mail
se2020
Posts: 742 Forumite
I have sold an item on ebay to a buyer in the USA.
Not using the gsp program.
The sales page shows that the buyer has paid a sales tax of £14.65.
When I try to send the item via royal mail and input the value of the goods it is trying to charge ME another £14.45 on top of the postage price for import duty. (Plus a 50p handling fee)
Previously, when you selected 'sale of goods' on the royal mail site additional options came up for you to select 'ebay' and enter the order number. This doesn't seem to be happening any more.
How do I get past this as obviously the buyer has already paid the import duty to ebay yet there is no sales tax code or anything showing on the item page.
Not using the gsp program.
The sales page shows that the buyer has paid a sales tax of £14.65.
When I try to send the item via royal mail and input the value of the goods it is trying to charge ME another £14.45 on top of the postage price for import duty. (Plus a 50p handling fee)
Previously, when you selected 'sale of goods' on the royal mail site additional options came up for you to select 'ebay' and enter the order number. This doesn't seem to be happening any more.
How do I get past this as obviously the buyer has already paid the import duty to ebay yet there is no sales tax code or anything showing on the item page.
0
Comments
-
This is not my area as I don't sell outside the UK now apart from GSP items. However if you buy your label from ebay is it not all dealt with there?I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0
-
Which ties in with the additional costs , again this is not my area but perhaps ebay build the extra into the label price?se2020 said:
Maybe.soolin said:This is not my area as I don't sell outside the UK now apart from GSP items. However if you buy your label from ebay is it not all dealt with there?
But, the only option for a label buying from ebay is UPS which starts at £18 or so.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you later.I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
I don't know how Royal mail or the US customs link the item I post via royal mail to the ebay sale?
Ie, the 'value' I use on royal mail would be what I received from the sale but that's obviously lower than what the buyer paid in total.
That would legitimately save me a bit on the fees but I don't know if it will cause a problem at some stage if it can be linked to the ebay sale somehow?
Even if they can link both address I can't see any way they can tell it is the ebay item in that package rather than something else I happen to be sending to the same person?0 -
Customs officers can open any and all parcels to check that what's inside matches the declaration. Obviously they only do for a minimal number of parcels, but that's the purpose of the spot checks.se2020 said:
Even if they can link both address I can't see any way they can tell it is the ebay item in that package rather than something else I happen to be sending to the same person?1 -
How much was the item and how much have you been paid? Who received the 'sales tax' that the buyer has paid?0
-
savergrant said:How much was the item and how much have you been paid? Who received the 'sales tax' that the buyer has paid?

Ebay recived the sales tax.
They have also charged a buyer protection fee which I thought was only for uk sales?
As well as charging me extra transaction fees for an international transaction?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
