We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Claim form despite landowner cancellation: DCB Legal & GBP Management

Snacker
Snacker Posts: 121 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Apologies if this is covered in the newbies thread but I couldn't see anything for this specific situation:

I got a parking ticket in July and immediately contacted the land owner, and a couple of weeks later- during which time the NTK arrived-  they agreed to cancel it (I've got this in writing as it was an email conversation). About a month after that, the usual kind of threatening letter arrived from the parking firm, so I tried replying to the person who said they'd cancel the ticket but my emails went ignored, despite me sending several.

All went quiet for a couple of months so I thought there'd just been a bit of a lag between the land owner cancelling and the parking firm updating their records, but then the letters started arriving again. I tried ringing the land owner but they're a big corporation and whenever I speak to someone I basically just end up explaining the situation again, being told they'll pass it on to the relevant person, then nothing happens.

Where does this leave me? Should I contact the parking firm directly and show them that I have the land owner telling me in writing that the ticket will be cancelled, or is that pointless and they'll just tell me that as far as they're concerned the ticket is still valid and it's between me and the land owner?
«13

Comments

  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    which  PPC or solicitor is sending you letters ? where did this happen ... there may be prior  ........
  • Snacker
    Snacker Posts: 121 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ralph-y said:
    which  PPC or solicitor is sending you letters ? where did this happen ... there may be prior  ........

    The firm is GBP Management.
  • Snacker
    Snacker Posts: 121 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Car1980 said:
    We've seen parking companies simply refuse to cancel, even if their contract with the landowner obliges them.

    Nothing you can do - it is only an invoice at the end of the day.

    Come back if you get a Letter Before Claim from a solicitor.

    Does it at least weaken the parking firm's position in court if the person they're pursuing has got written proof of cancellation from the land owner?
  • Snacker
    Snacker Posts: 121 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    GBP are unlikely to litigate IMHO.

    Hopefully not, then that'll get me down to just 2 more to deal with (from a starting point of 5  :# )...
  • Snacker
    Snacker Posts: 121 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I've had the money claim/county court documents come through today. Before I file my defence is it worth me emailing DCB Legal with a copy of the land owner's email in which they say they've cancelled the ticket? Or should I just skip that and go straight to the court response?

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,200 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I would deal with it in the usual manner, but you may want to counterclaim, if you are so inclined ?

    Post the Issue date from the top right of the claim form below

    Also post a redacted picture of the POC from the lower left of the claim form below after hiding the VRM details first

  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    In light of the recent awakening by the CMA, it might be worth putting a complaint in to them plus your local MP, referencing the CMA action

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6676460/news-private-parking-firms-warned-to-treat-motorists-fairly-euro-car-parks-investigation-launched#latest

    From the Plain Language Commission:

    "The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Snacker
    Snacker Posts: 121 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I'd not considered a counterclaim. On what basis would it be made? Harrassment/undue stress caused?

    The claim issue date is 13th July 2026 and here's the POC as requested.

    IMG_3537.JPG
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.