We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bank Switching - How Blatant?

124»

Comments

  • I have a main bank account with Nationwide, together with a regular saver that qualifies me for their fairer sharer annual bonus (when awarded). I have a 2nd current account with Virgin Money, that enables me to have a VM Regular saver and Easy access ISA. I opened a 2nd VM current account a few years ago that I then used to switch into Nat West, then First Direct, then into my main Nationwide account to earn their £175 switch bonus. Then 2 years ago I opened a 3rd VM account to switch to TSB, stayed with TSB for a year to use a Regular saver and qualify for a loyalty monthly bonus, then switched to Lloyds, then Barclays, then Santander last year, and now finally Co-Op this year. Will stay with Co-Op for a year to utilise a Regular Saver and hopefully 3 months loyalty bonus. Then maybe simplify my banking a little next year by switching into my Nationwide account.

  • I've had issues with 2 bank switches this year and I'm getting suspicious.

    First Direct- sent me a PIN that didn't work with my card. They kept asking me to try different atms and store machines unti i was outside the time criteria for using my card to qualify for the bonus. Refused to pay bonus.

    COOP are now sending out my 3rd letter containing my PIN, the other 2 have not arrived. Again I am reaching the end of my qualifying period for using my card.

    Has anyone else experienced this PIN scam?

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,824
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 September at 1:38PM

    I haven't and I've done a lot of bank switches this year tsb to barclays, barclays to bos, bos to co-op, all as smooth as silk.

  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,273
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It's not a scam. Never attribute to malice something that can be explained by incompetence.

    Raise a formal complaint for the value of the switch incentives and present your case to them. There's also the option to use your card online or via Google/Apple pay, to potentially sidestep the PIN issue.

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,346
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    The PIN issues you experience seem to be quite unique to you as nobody else has reported such problems. It doesn’t sound like a scam, just a number of very unfortunate incidents.

    If you have a smartphone, you can use ApplePay / GooglePay instead of waiting for PINs.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.