We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fraudulent Soft searches

My name, dob and address was in a data leak. In the past six months there have been nearly 500 soft searches. Car, home, van insurance.

They are fraudulent. Wrong email address used. Wrong car. I don't have house insurance in my name.

Every week I contact the insurance companies, comparison sites, lexus nexus, bisl etc with action Fraud number and details of searches. No policies found yet and no hard searches.

I have Cifas, password protected credit files, changed passwords. Closed comparison sites. ID monitoring software. It's driving me mad. What else can I do?

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What problem are you actually trying to solve, i.e. what do you believe the impact of the soft searches to be and what do you believe the companies that you're contacting can do about them?
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,412
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rosielx12 said:
    My name, dob and address was in a data leak. In the past six months there have been nearly 500 soft searches. Car, home, van insurance.

    They are fraudulent. Wrong email address used. Wrong car. I don't have house insurance in my name.

    Every week I contact the insurance companies, comparison sites, lexus nexus, bisl etc with action Fraud number and details of searches. No policies found yet and no hard searches.

    I have Cifas, password protected credit files, changed passwords. Closed comparison sites. ID monitoring software. It's driving me mad. What else can I do?
     Soft searches have no impact on your credit record so try not to let it bother you. 

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • M25
    M25 Posts: 423
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Rosielx12 said:
    What else can I do?
    Stop worrying.

    You've already done enough and there's nothing else to do.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.