We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Purchased life annuity - can you recommend a broker

2»

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,853 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

     I just don't understand why it's considered to be a rare niche product since I have seen a number of recommendations online that it's a good idea to use the 25% tax-free lump sum from a pension pot to buy a PLA.

    That is an exam answer rather than a real-life answer.

    Unless you've got a guaranteed annuity rate, then you shouldn't use 100% of the pension fund to buy a lifetime annuity. You should use the 75% for the lifetime annuity and the 25% for PLA.

    However, there are only two PLA providers, and only one of them is relatively competitive. Its application process is extremely dated. Largely because there isn't the volume of policies put in place to justify the cost to modernise it.

    The online annuity calculators (and brokers) all seem to be focussed on standard pension annuities and don't even mention PLAs.

    The online brokers cherry pick the easy stuff. They're not interested in doing stuff that requires manual applications.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • poolboy
    poolboy Posts: 230 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker

    I m pretty sure pla s were discussed on meaningful money podcast last year. I think it was to fund care fees though I was only half listening so may be wrong.

    I bought an annuity last year but from a pension pot with a generous min rate, I did shop around but noone came close.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.