pension when on benefits

well i am a carer with not much chance of going back into full time employment. I am in my early 40's and receive income support, so how can i save for a pension?
we are not allowed to have more than £x (i forget amount but its not a lot) in savings, and i dont have any at all as i am on income support!
I cant afford to pay into a scheme and feed my kids too, what is a person to do?
trying hard to count my blessings while surrounded by idiots :O)

Comments

• Small comfort I know but Carer's are creditted with contributions to the Second State Pension for each year spent Caring.

Whether or not this will bring in sufficient return to bring you off means tested benefits when you retire is a different question which no one can predict. For the time being any savings between £3000 and £6000 will reduce your weekly benefit by £1. (different savings limits apply to those over 60 or in care homes details Social security benefit rates (GL23)

You may be interested to know that if they scrapped the NI contributions system they would have enough money from the savings in Civil Servants to fund a higher state pension for all. I think I heard it costs the government £4 for each pound of pension credit given out.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family