We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Random Alphanumeric Codes (Twice) on Cheque fronts.

I've just received a new chequebook from Cahoot and on the front of each cheque, there is a 9-character random alphanumeric code (starting with = and different on each cheque) printed twice - once above where you would write the payee and the other below the third line.

is this normal now? I haven't had to order a new chequebook in years and I tried googling about this, but I don't think those answers (BIC/SWIFT codes) were relevant.

Comments

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,494
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 September 2025 at 4:47PM
    janusd said:
    I've just received a new chequebook from Cahoot and on the front of each cheque, there is a 9-character random alphanumeric code (starting with = and different on each cheque) printed twice - once above where you would write the payee and the other below the third line.

    is this normal now? I haven't had to order a new chequebook in years and I tried googling about this, but I don't think those answers (BIC/SWIFT codes) were relevant.
    It might have been normal for quite a while: my Lloyds chequebook printed in late 2019 has these as well. The codes on mine all start, "#".
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 6,524
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 September 2025 at 7:11PM
    It is a Unique Coded Number (UCN)

    As above, they are part of additional security measures known as Image Survivable Features (ISF) used when cheques clear using their new image based clearing process.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.